Seems out of tune??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems out of tune??

Need some help with my new Jackson DK2L.

Problem seems to be with the A and D strings. When I play any bar chord lower then the 7th fret it sounds out of tune.

Like the bar chord A on the A string 12th fret and the D string 14th fret. Or even when I play the A and D together at the 12th fret. All of the other strings seem ok.

It's just those 2 when playing closes to the body. The only thing that I noticed is that the Floyd seems higher on the Low E string side then the High E string side. The High E string side seems flush to the body, but the Low E is almost an 1/8 of an inch higher.

Individually the string play each note fine, but together they sound out of tune. I checked the intonation and it seem pretty good, no worse then the other strings.

Any thoughts? I could have my chord names mixed up???

Hope this makes sense to someone.
    Thanks

I did use a Korg Pitch Black to check the intonation.

Comment

and was the intonation fine? intonation is usually something that i don't like to have much fudge room on. a poorly intonated guitar can make a great player sound awful.
      Red JDR-94
      Maroon PS-3T with shark fin neck
      Duncan Invader pickups
      Jackson>ZW Wah>Vintage phase 90>ZW OD or Boss SD>Maxon SD9>MXR Flange 117>NS2>Bugera 1960>effects loop>boss chorus>MXR 10-band>effects loop return

Comment

New strings first before you start racking your brain diagnosing what may be a simple fix. Easiest way for me to tell when I need new strings is chords start to sounds like ass.

Comment

The strings are brand new, as the guitar is. I had them changed to EB 10's before it was sent to me about 4 weeks ago. And it hasn't been played that much during that time. Not enough to need new string any how.

The intonation seems good to me.

Comment

See that the neck doesnt have too much bow in it, that will throw the scale out of whack. It should damn near be flat with just the slightest hint of a bow to it. Another thing to try would be tuning your high E to the tuner then tuning the rest of the strings to the high E string. Some guitars dont tune to tuners well and must be tuned to its self. Dont freak out though as this will be a nearly unnoticeable difference when playing with another instrument.

Its better that your chords sound clean and be a c#$% hair out of tune with the other instruments(damn near unnoticeable) than to be out of tune with everybody including your self.

You may also want to go ahead and restring it as about every forth blue moon a set of bad strings go out the door of the factory. While these rogue string sets from hell are about as common as a set of siamese twins born attached at the head with a blind anus, they do show up every now and then. Ive had the misfortune of obtaining one of these sets of bad strings before, frustrating as hell.
            Last edited by Twitch; 05-28-2010, 07:00 AM.
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I don't know if this could be the issue, but I just had my brand new DK in and it had so many unlevel frets that it was causeing things to sound out of tune at certain places. It came like that from the factory!

Also, I don't beleive that the pitch black tuner is accurate enough to set intonation with. You really need a reliable needle type, or if I am not mistaken a strobe type also, to get your intonation set accurately.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Thanks for the replies all.

I think I'm just going to take it to a tech to look at.

Comment

Working...
                X