Duncan Alnico II Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Alnico II Pro

I'm looking to match up a neck pickup to a Duncan SH5 Custom in the bridge. I've used the '59 extensively, but I'd like to try something different this time around. I never liked the Jazz. Has anyone used an Alnico II Pro or Alnico II Slash in the neck? What are your thoughts on it?

It's going in an all Korina neckthru with rosewood fb.

You could try a Full Shred. The Custom is def. hot enough for it.
    Or a Pearly Gates
    I've used an Alcino II and wasn't exactly impressed. It was a good pickup, but not for me.
    No experience with the slash
    I like EL34s.

Comment

If you don't mind mixing companies the dimarzio air norton is great in the neck position.

Comment

I considered the Pearly Gates, but the Duncan website said it was better for brighter guitars...korina is warm, but with a little more midrange than mahogany.

I've seen a lot of people using the Full Shred in the neck...I'm assuming they are using the Full Shred NECK model not the BRIDGE model in the neck position?

Comment

I've got an A2P in the neck of my Hamer Special (mahogany body/neck, rosewood board, 5/8" maple top), paired with a Custom 5. It sounds nice and warm, very creamy with a lot of distortion. Backing off the volume and using it for cleans yields great results, too. I usually prefer the '59 or Jazz, but the A2P is very nice.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think he's talking about the regular Custom, not the Custom 5.

What is the A2P out of curiosity?
            I like EL34s.

Comment

I maybe wrong but I'm thinking Alnico II Pro.

Comment

I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                  I considered the Pearly Gates, but the Duncan website said it was better for brighter guitars...neck position?
                  Isn't the PG modeled after the P'ups in Gibbon's Pearly gates :think:

Don't really think a 59 LP is a bright guitar
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                    I think he's talking about the regular Custom, not the Custom 5.

I know he was talking about the regular Custom. I was saying I had my A2P paired up with a C5.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      Isn't the PG modeled after the P'ups in Gibbon's Pearly gates :think:

Don't really think a 59 LP is a bright guitar
                      That's what I thought too, but I'm just quoting Duncan's website!!!!

Any more info on the Full Shred would be appreciated...after looking at that pickup, it may be more of what I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                        If you don't mind mixing companies the dimarzio air norton is great in the neck position.
                        Rich, I have Dimarzios in every other guitar I own! Just looking for something different here. I actually prefer the Air Norton in the bridge to be honest.

Comment

I like the neck Pearly Gates. Had one in my Model 5 before I decided to throw in the Blackouts. I think what they are pointing out is it warms up 'spanky' sounding guitars. I don't think it would sound bad in a korina or mahogany guitar. I found it to be kind of like a PAF but with a strat neck pickup hollowness in the midrange. One thing is for sure, it would eat pinch harmonics for breakfast.

I have used a bridge Full Shred in the neck of my old Ibanez RG320FM that I had for a year or so and it was great and clear but not a lot of midrange in the basswood body. It would probably warm up a bit in the midrange in mahogany or Korina body.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Well, I went a different route altogether!! Still haven't replaced the neck pickup in my Korina, but I swapped out the dual '59s in my Morton with a Custom and a Pearly Gates neck. WOW!! They sound fantastical!! I really like the PG in the neck...thanks for the suggestions fellas!!

The Korina already has a Custom in the bridge, so that's staying, but I think I may try a Phat Cat in the neck on that one instead. I liked that pickup back when I had the Lynch Super V.

Comment

Working...
                            X