Clear All

• Locking Tuners

Anybody have experience with either of these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Locking-Tuners-F...item2a07620e86
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Gotoh-Style-Chro...item588238c12d
    or give any other CHEAP suggestions.

My custom shop is a TOM with Gotoh locking tuners and I love
    them.

I can't say anything about the fakes though.

Suck it up and buy decent tuners... They aren't that expensive.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

I just ordered some of these for my RR1. I'll let you know how they fit/feel when they show up. They are nice and cheap (compared to Sperzels bought retail.)

http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Mini...-P119C726.aspx
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post

I can't say anything about the fakes though.

Suck it up and buy decent tuners... They aren't that expensive.
        They're not "fakes" as you say. They are genuine and real tuners. Besides, if you "can't say anything" about those brands, why do you say "suck it up and buy decent tuners?"
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Just my opinion and I've never replaced tuners at all, but I'd give them a shot if it was me.. How bad can you fuck up building a tuner?? Not exactly rocket science, is it?
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Note that both of the tuners you linked to are not genuine Gotoh or Schaller parts which means you are taking your chances in regards to the quality. Inexpensive imported tuners are hit and miss. Their quality is not as consistent as the real deal. Sometimes you get a set of good tuners and sometimes 1 or more of them have issues (e.g. bad metal that breaks or wear prematurely). I've seen a lot of inexpensive import tuners go bad in my life time.

That said, I have personally found that the Schaller style tuners are much easier to work with than the Gotoh/Grover style. I don't like to have to use a tool (screwdriver or coin) to change strings. If you have to use a tool to change strings, there's always the chance your hand could slip and you could scratch your headstock. You also always need to have a tool close at hand. I've got Schaller locking tuners on 4 guitars (so far) and they have worked out perfectly.

It should also be noted that the Schaller locking tuners come in 2 varieties. One style (like the ones you linked to) have the screw attachment just like regular Schaller non-locking tuners. The other style uses pins instead of screws to hold the tuners in place to prevent them from rotating. These are used on Fenders as OEM tuners. The ones that Warmoth sells have the standard screw attachment.

A decent set of genuine Schallers locking tuners won't run you more than $60 for a set.

Comment

I ended up with a used set of sperzels for around $43.

Comment

The only time I find parts are expensive is when I order through my local store, because the parts come from allparts or Fender themselves.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                X