Cavity grounding - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavity grounding - worth it?

So Charvels have little ground lugs in the pickup cavities and a ground lug in the control cavity and this is all wired up and grounded to the bridge. What's you're opinion on having all these extra grounds? Myself, I've never been "noise-a-phobe." I got quiet sounding guitars that just have a ground to the bridge and no individual grounds in the pickup cavities.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Whoops - this was supposed to be in Tech Q&A.
    Blank yo!

Comment

Probably overkill. But if you play under fluoerescent lights a lot and use active circuitry you might get some interference and a shielded electronics cavity with that kind of grounding might eliminate a lot of that.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

It does make a difference. Not a big one, though. Worth it? I dunno. I do it, but just because I like to take my time and do everything as nice as I can when I assemble a guitar.

When I build something I will use the copper foil in the pickup cavities and solder wire to it and tie it into ground, and also copper tape the electronics cavity and the cavity cover.

I do have one Charvel that is done with the conductive paint which doesn't have the pickup grounds connected (I don't have the lugs/screws) and I wouldn't exactly say I'm missing it - not enough to find some lugs/screws and take it all apart anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          When I build something I will use the copper foil in the pickup cavities and solder wire to it and tie it into ground, and also copper tape the electronics cavity and the cavity cover.
          You're sick. I'm trying to avoid work when I put mine back together tonight.
          Blank yo!

Comment

It's actually one of the easier/more relaxing parts of the assembly. Not as tedious as trimming a neck pocket or doing the pickup mounting rings, if you screw it up a little, just slap another layer of foil on it (I use the kind with conductive adhesive backing.)

My red/black mutt doesn't have it connected. It works great, and isn't excessively noisy. Throw that sonofabitch back together and rock out.

Comment

I noticed those lugs in the pup/control cavities of my Warrior Pro. Would these have any effect on tone at all?
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I don't think it makes any noticeable difference tone-wise. But, I'm no Eric Johnson.

Comment

Well, I didn't eschew the grounding in my rebuild.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Well, if anything, it would make it a little less susceptable to interference
                    I had one 'hissy' guitar that noticably quieted down after insulating with (get this: ) aluminiumtape
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

You know, you won't lose much if you decide that there's no noticeable difference. If you've got an afternoon to burn and there's nothing better to do, go for it! =D I'd definitely recommend it for studio or the aforementioned fluorescent light scenarios.
                      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

What exactly does it ground? The pickups are grounded to the back of the volume pot, which is grounded to the amp through the instrument cable, which is grounded to the earth ground through the amplifier's power cord. Shielding I can understand, although in my experience it has made very little difference.
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                          What exactly does it ground? The pickups are grounded to the back of the volume pot, which is grounded to the amp through the instrument cable, which is grounded to the earth ground through the amplifier's power cord. Shielding I can understand, although in my experience it has made very little difference.
                          It's meant to reduce interference from external sources. For instance, plug in and stand in front of a TV with your guitar, or put a phone next to the hums, stand beside fluorescent lights, etc. You'll pick up noise from the surroundings. It's not so much to do with grounding the hardware and components themselves, but cutting down on noise you pick up from surrounding electronics.

Hope it helps at all, kinda difficult to put into words for me
                          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
                            It's meant to reduce interference from external sources. For instance, plug in and stand in front of a TV with your guitar, or put a phone next to the hums, stand beside fluorescent lights, etc. You'll pick up noise from the surroundings. It's not so much to do with grounding the hardware and components themselves, but cutting down on noise you pick up from surrounding electronics.
                            +1. I always wondered how effective it really is considering the pups are widey-ass open in the front. Your EMI is mostly coming in from the front anyways. I guess for Maximum Shielding you really need to have metal covers on the pups, with the covers having continuity with the shielding. My deep thought for the day, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                              +1. I always wondered how effective it really is considering the pups are widey-ass open in the front. Your EMI is mostly coming in from the front anyways. I guess for Maximum Shielding you really need to have metal covers on the pups, with the covers having continuity with the shielding. My deep thought for the day, anyway.
                              That gives me the idea of doing up the inside of plastic ones for a more discrete look. Doubt it would do much, but it's a good enough idea

Comment

Working...
                              X