Need help picking a dimario pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help picking a dimario pickup

The reason I say dimarzio is because I want it to be cream colored. I am looking for a pickup that does 80's metal, I do have some top choices so if anyone has experience with these I'd love to here your input-steve's special, evo 2, and Steve morse.
    No blade pickups suggestions please. It's going in a one humbucker promod body.
    I don't want to double a pickup I already have so this is what I have going now- Super distortion in a 2005 charvel, Super 3 in a promod/2005 mutt, I loved the tone zone in the socal I used to have but I still have one in my model 6 and a promod/fender mutt(I have been mixed in liking it lately), I had a evo in the promod/2005 mutt and wasn't happy. Not a big d sonic, x2n fan especially for 80's metal. My favorite pickup currently is the seymour duncan custom and the EQ of the steve's special looks similar so that's the frontrunner. The guitar currently has a SD distortion and I should hopefully have it by the end of the week. Not sure if I want to venture into the midoutput ones, but suggestions are welcome.
    Think of bands like savatage, dokken, van halen etc.

I prefer the Evolution over the Super Distortion. Less output, but a better sound.

I thought all Seymour Duncan humbuckers were available in cream, black, white and zebra.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I thought all Seymour Duncan humbuckers were available in cream, black, white and zebra.
      Nope, Dimarzio holds the patent on cream humbuckers(for at least the companies that make pickups in the USA.

Comment

Trademark, not a patent.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I like the Luigi!

Comment

I've got an F spaced Double Cream Super Distortion that will be in the classified section soon.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              Nope, Dimarzio holds the patent on cream humbuckers(for at least the companies that make pickups in the USA.
              You can always order a Duncan in cream and have them "lightly" put a cover over it.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got a double cream PAF Pro I need to find a home for. I had it in the neck of my ProMod - sounded great - lots of ballsy singing round lead tones. I'm sure it will also be cool in the bridge... just need to find the right test subject.
                Blank yo!

Comment

I had a breed in my sl2 at one point and it does that 80's stuff really well.
                  Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I wouldn't reccomend a Steve's Special for 80s metal.

It's very "different", Im sure people who have them know what I mean.

Not for big fat punchy tones.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Yeah...I wouldn't go Steve's Special either. I also wouldn't go with the Morse...I had a Morse set and while great pickups, they are very different sounding. I don't think they'd work out for you.

If you're thinking of a pickup similar to a Duncan Custom or Screamin Demon...a moderate output pickup with good bite...I recommend an AT-1 Andy Timmons, Air Zone or even an Air Norton in the bridge. I have an AT-1 in my SD1 and it's a fantastic pickup.

If you're looking for something with more balls, go with the Evo2. I liked the Evo2 way better than the Evolution.
                      Last edited by 6string40; 05-24-2010, 11:28 PM.

Comment

PAF Pro is the 80s Dimarzio in much the same way that the Super Distortion was the 70s Dimarzio.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

The PAF pro doesn't seem like it's a strong pickup for metal.

Comment

I've found the Mo'Joe to be a pretty cool bridge pickup for an 80s vibe. Otherwise, the Evolution is cool, too.

You had already ruled out my other choices - SD, Super3, TZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                              The PAF pro doesn't seem like it's a strong pickup for metal.
                              You said "80's metal." The PAF Pro was heavily used by Vai, Gilbert - all those guys. The DMZ/IBZ pickups in all the Ibanez RG's were based on the PAF Pro.

They're hot enough for you, old man.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X