Changing from Active to Passive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from Active to Passive

Hey, Im getting an RR Pro with the Active setup on EMG 81/85s.
    Im planning to convert in passive to duncans, im essentially going to have to gut all the electronics and replace everything except the input and the 3 way switch right? or am i supposed to change even the switch?
    what essentially do i have to do at this point? i dont have a clue about active to passive stuff so it would be great if you guys give me a list of what to buy, how many "k" pots, volume tone, etc. man this is hard
    Last edited by leevan_lee; 05-24-2010, 03:45 AM.

First, get a schematic. It will answer a lot of your questions. The easier ones to read IMO are at Seymour Duncan's web site. This will show the capacitor values, where to put which wires, etc.

You can re-use the stereo output jack and the switch is the same either way, but you'll need to replace all of the pots. You probably want 500K pots.

Comment

ok, got it but, as for the pots, are there "sizes" for jackson guitars? i mean are pots mostly of uniform size or are there specific ones i have to get? i think i have most access to Allparts electronics. is this a good brand?

Comment

Allparts CTS pots are good. I don't know what you mean by "sizes" but there are basically solid shaft and split shaft, and then long or short. If you want to use the knobs you already have, that you were using with your EMG pots, you will want to get the split shaft CTS pots. You can use long (using a spacer/washers, etc) or short in a Jackson but they come with short.

So, CTS 500K short split-shaft should get you set up.

Comment

They do come in different sizes. Get the smallest size you can as most Rhoads have a very tight cavity space. Stew Mac sells a "mini" pot, normal shaft, but smaller all else.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I got the CTS pots for my DkMG, and they were like a 1/16 of an inch too big, so I had to ream it out with a drill bit, it was no big deal, just be careful if that is the case. As a matter of fact, I turned the bit by hand and it shaved of the amount I needed with no problems. I was scared of the bit chipping off the finish or somehting, so that is why I turned it by hand.
            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Now that I think about it, don't the Rhoades guitars all have a metal plate where the post go? Taht should be no problem at all to drill out if you need to.
              Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Working...
              X