Cleaning methods for natural and maple finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning methods for natural and maple finishes

Hey guys....I got my "natural" PC1 two weeks ago (I won't say "au naturale"...it's just too queer )... and just started thinking about it...what do I use to clean/maintain this thing. I have the same questions about my Charvels too...or at least in terms of their necks. I've just been spraying some Finger Ease on those things, and then buff them clean. It doesn't seem to hurt the neck...still...I'm not really sure I'm doing the right thing. I'm hoping you guys can tell me what I'm supposed to use on maple necks...and then, more specifically, on this PC1 - all over it. Because of it's finish, it doesn't show any kind of fingerprints..or dirt, or anything really...I guess this is a good thing....this is the one guitar that I don't feel compelled to clean after every time I play it...which is basically every night.

I know it's hip to have a beat-up, crusty axes these days..but sorry...it aint for me. I mean, whatever floats your beanie...still...when I buy a guitar, it's like a car...I clean it every night...I go nuts if it gets scratched or dinged..etc. That's just me...I know there's lots of you who don't give a shit...but I know there are some guys out there like me...so I don't feel bad saying it (to those of you who would actually pay 6 thousand dollars for a rusty, paint-less Les Paul - made in 2010

Anyway...not gonna go off on a tangent...I know I know...there are all kinds of reasons why people buy the old looking shit...but you aint gonna change my mind, so don't bother trying
    I just wanna know what to use on my PC1 ( the whole guitar ), and on any maple neck Charvels...Up until last year, every guitar I've owned (except one - ironically it was a "toothpaste logo" Charvel, fusion deluxe) had rosewood or ebony fingerboards...

Your advise is much appreciated.
    Todd M

i also have the same questions, does anyone here know how to clean the maple fretboard ?
    Jackson Demon Custom Shop Black Cherry
    Ibanez RG5000SG
    Ibanez RGT3120TV
    Cole Clark FL1AC

Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
    Laney Cabinet 212 Lionheart
    POD Studio UX 2

Comment

I posted this a while back...I then posted a similar question in another forum...I never really got a straight answer on the fingerboard. I keep hearing things like gun oil...
      I've also been told not to use the lemon oil products that are usually associated with rosewood fingerboards.

I actually just use that stuff called "finger-ease". It's primarily for string cleaning...but a lot of guys use it on the back of their maple neck Strats...you know...when the lacquer kinda gets that gummed up feeling after you've been playing a while. I spray a little of that on the back of my Strat neck, and it's like magic. Unfortunately, it gets gummed up again pretty quick. However...in the process of using this on my Strat, I've seen on the can that it's safe for just about any neck/neck surface-material, etc. So I started using it on all my guitars, and it's been great. It not only cleans the strings, but gets the crap off the neck/fingerboard as well. You can spray it right onto the neck, and then use a good, soft cloth, and it cleans it nicely....you'll see the black crap coming off on the cloth.

Hope this helps man.
      Todd M

Comment

Scott's Liquid Gold
        Get the original Lemon version.
        My 2004 PC1 still looks as good as it did the day I got it.
        Apply it on kinda heavy, let it set for a few minutes and then wipe off the excess.
        -Rick

Comment

Not sure what they use for the Au Natural PC1 finish, but they use Gunstock oil on the backs of all of their oiled necks. You can definitely use it on the body, but since I don't know what they use to begin with, I won't speak more to that. I really wouldn't use that finger ease stuff; who knows what's in there.

Sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I definitely wouldn't use anything designed for string maintenance on the neck or body of a guitar. Those products potentially contain abrasives/strippers/mechanical oils that certainly aren't ideal, and could prove harmful. I wouldn't want to be the guy who finds out.

For unfinished (read: exposed grain) maple, lemon oil is a great, lightweight cleaner. I take a very soft wood scotch pad and work down the back of maple necks with lemon oil, using just enough pressure to remove some of the build up. You'll want to do the same thing on the fingerboard too, assuming it is also totally unfinished.

After the lemon oil dries up, you can use a light coating of tung or gunstock oil on the back of the neck. Don't put it on the fingerboard. I wouldn't do this to the neck more than once every month or two, just wipe it down with a soft cloth after you play (and wash your hands before you play, it makes a big difference on unfinished necks). Be sure the oils you buy are pure, meaning they contain only 100% lemon/tung/gunstock oil. There are a lot of "tung-like" etc, oils out there for finishing furniture and the like. Don't put that shit on your guitar.

I'm not very familiar with the PC-1--is the body totally unfinished? If so, you could do the same thing. If it has a topcoat on it (I assume it does), you'll want to use a light cleaner and something like a caranuba wax every so often. I don't usually believe in guitar accessory companies, but Dunlop makes a set of products for this that are great.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
              Not sure what they use for the Au Natural PC1 finish, but they use Gunstock oil on the backs of all of their oiled necks. You can definitely use it on the body, but since I don't know what they use to begin with, I won't speak more to that. I really wouldn't use that finger ease stuff; who knows what's in there.

Sully
              I certainly wouldn't use finger ease on the body of the guitar...I wasn't saying that....just the neck. I've been using it for a long time on my guitars, and it cleans them well...and I've never had a neck show any kind of premature wear or damage. It smooths out the neck, and cleans the strings. A number of guitar techs recommended it to me, so I don't have a problem using it or recommending it.
              Todd M

Comment

Why bother asking what's appropriate to use on the neck and body if you're going to shit on the answer and go back to what you were using?

The consensus seems to be that Finger Ease in particular contains silicone (seems that the actual ingredient list isn't readily available), which is the number one thing any decent tech or luthier will tell you to avoid putting on an unfinished neck. Silicone and similar polymers can work their way into the open grain, which can cause problems in the long run. Even though it may end up being fine, I'd never put that shit on an unfinished neck. I'll stick with what's been proven absolutely safe and effective.

Comment

How about Dunlop Formula 65 Guitar Polish & Cleaner? Is it just for painted parts?

Comment

My bottle of Dunlop 65 doesn't list the ingredients, nor does their website. It may be fine (although they do have a specialized fretboard cleaner), but I'd be quite cautious of using anything on an unfinished neck if I don't know exactly what's in it. You could probably call them and ask, but since it's specifically formulated for finished bodies I'd be very surprised if it doesn't contain some sort of polymer.

Comment

Every time I change the strings on my PC1, I mask off the pickups, and then steel wool the fretboard. Then, I rub lemon oil on the fretboard, let it sit, and then wipe the excess oil off.

Smells soooooo good when it's done!

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                        Why bother asking what's appropriate to use on the neck and body if you're going to shit on the answer and go back to what you were using?

The consensus seems to be that Finger Ease in particular contains silicone (seems that the actual ingredient list isn't readily available), which is the number one thing any decent tech or luthier will tell you to avoid putting on an unfinished neck. Silicone and similar polymers can work their way into the open grain, which can cause problems in the long run. Even though it may end up being fine, I'd never put that shit on an unfinished neck. I'll stick with what's been proven absolutely safe and effective.
                        Why don't you take a look at when and what the thread was about before you tell me I'm shitting on anything. This was posted back on 5/21..and I've gotten answers since then...I was also asking about the finish of my guitar...The thread was brought back to life because someone was asking about the neck. I said I use Finger Ease on mine. I will continue to use it, and if you don't wanna try it don't fuckin try it
                        Holy shit

***edit..you know what...you're right...I did ask about the neck..of my Charvels...and when I asked that question, no one answered. The only answers I've gotten were about the finish of my PC1...In terms of the necks... in the last month and a half, I've continued to use finger ease....so I answered my own question because no one else did. And I have no problem telling people my experience...

So to donnykbs...DON'T USE FINGER EASE...it's the general consensus. I'll continue to use is despite the consensus because it hasn't hurt anything and it makes my guitar neck nice and smooth...Not to mention, the guy who sets up my guitars told me it was fine...don't hold me to it...but it would be my guess he told me this well after I posted this question...because after all...it is an almost 2 month old post!
                        Last edited by veniculum; 07-11-2010, 09:01 PM.
                        Todd M

Comment

-Directly from the Gibson Custom Shop: Premium Zippo Lighter Fluid - to clean any finish including oil finishes.-

for conditioning the fretboard after cleaning and no more than 2 times year... Fret Doctor
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by veniculum View Post
                            So to donnykbs...DON'T USE FINGER EASE...it's the general consensus. I'll continue to use is despite the consensus because it hasn't hurt anything and it makes my guitar neck nice and smooth...Not to mention, the guy who sets up my guitars told me it was fine...don't hold me to it...but it would be my guess he told me this well after I posted this question...because after all...it is an almost 2 month old post!
                            Sorry if i cause trouble bringing back this thread to life
                            Because i didn't know exactly what to use for cleaning satin like finishing in my neck (on my Ibanez RG 1570) and for maple fretboard i'm just curious (because it's my next GAS, jackson with maple fretboard)... Now i only use Dunlop Guitar Polish & Cleaner no.65, not the carnauba wax, here's what i mean :
                            http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?p...ts/maintenance

it cause my neck to feel different than when it's new, how can i describe it... it becomes slippery (oilly), plays like butter which is a good thing for me, but it starts to change color become darker...
                            I only use it for about 6 months, and if it's continue like this, maybe next year the neck would totally looks dirty and ugly...
                            Last edited by donnykbs; 07-12-2010, 08:58 AM.
                            Jackson Demon Custom Shop Black Cherry
                            Ibanez RG5000SG
                            Ibanez RGT3120TV
                            Cole Clark FL1AC

Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
                            Laney Cabinet 212 Lionheart
                            POD Studio UX 2

Comment

I have a maple fret board and was wondering what the finish is. It's not raw wood. I just used Finger Ease to clean surface level dirt and grime from it. Is the finish polyurethane, lacquer, gun stock Tru-oil, etc.--I can't tell. There are a few spots where the finish has worn off and dirt is embedded in the wood so I'd like to clean those spots up and re-finish them.

Hey, why isn't this thread in the Tech Q&A section?

Comment

Working...
                              X