headstock crack on my strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headstock crack on my strat

Hey guys, I recently got a strat (posted it on Guitars by other manufacturers) but I think that the right place for my problem is here.

It's got a crack on the back, a had never done this kind of repair, what can you tell me about, I don't want it to expand to other areas of the headstock, I would appreciate your help a lot!

"You deserve what you dream"

Sorry - is it repaired or youneed to repair it? If its needs repair, you open it up as much as you can, shoot in some wood glue and them clamp clamp clamp.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      If its needs repair, you open it up as much as you can, shoot in some wood glue and them clamp clamp clamp.
      That's what she said!

Wait... :think:

Yeah, what Grandturk said. You might want to invest in one of those syringes from Stewmac (or you can probably find them at a craft store, or a neighborhood junkie) to really get the glue in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        Sorry - is it repaired or youneed to repair it? If its needs repair, you open it up as much as you can, shoot in some wood glue and them clamp clamp clamp.
        As I can see it's not repaired, the damage was made and left as it is. So I should use wood glue, what about super glue? it's not so necessary?

Comment

If its stays in tune, I'd leave it, but I'm guessing it will eventually need to be fixed.

Check out Stew Mac as Jazzy said - you can get luthier specific wood glue and some injecting syringes and that will make it easier. Pic up some fine sand paper to smooth it all out once the glue is dry and you're done
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Hmm good idea... I'll try to dig out some syringes, got the glue and clamps so that's not a problem

Comment

Looks to me like that crack runs the entire length of the headstock under the tuners ..is that correct?

Comment

sure looks like it. Tuners too big for the holes?
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Outlander View Post
                  Looks to me like that crack runs the entire length of the headstock under the tuners ..is that correct?
                  That's what I was thinking. The crack looks to at least follow down to the 1st 4 tuners. Take off the tuners and take a peek. And as mentioned, make sure the holes are big enough for the tuners.

The trick for gluing is getting the glue in there and getting the right clamp to fit the thing right. I had a similar corner completely broken off on a model series charvel I got used and could not get a clamp to set right, so I used a crapload of rubber bands and slowly increased the pressure by adding bands. Then, to make myself feel better, when it dried, I put a couple dowels in and it hasn't moved since.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Take all the tuners off to see how far the crack runs.Spread as far as you can to open the crack then inject the glue and clamp.If you use tight bond wood glue when you clamp just wipe off the the glue that squeezes out with a damp paper towel.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

yes, I already took off the tuners, but the crack only goes until the second tuner, the thing that looks like a crack on the other tuners are marks of the wood that look a lot like the crack and the tuners do fit right in the holes

Comment

Working...
                      X