Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reccomended strings for drop g on 25.5 scale tune o matic guitar

Hi
    Could anyone reccomend me some strings for drop g on a 25.5 scale guitar with a tonepros tom string-thru bridge. I like high tension, about 22-23 lbs. Can anyone reccomend me the correct guages?

Good luck intonating that. Get a baritone with more than a 26.5" scale.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

lol, holy crap

this would be what you would want probably, still low tension on the low E (low G I guess) but unless you can find something thicker than an 80...

a,, .015" PL == 16.25#
      e,, .020" PL == 16.22#
      c,, .030" nw == 19.87#
      e,,, .050" nw == 20.46#
      d,,, .056" nw == 20.92#
      g,,,, .080" nw == 18.6#
      total == 112.32#

This is more sane I suppose:

a,, .014" PL == 14.16#
      e,, .019" PL == 14.64#
      c,, .028" nw == 16.91#
      e,,, .048" nw == 18.93#
      d,,, .054" nw == 19.19#
      g,,,, .080" nw == 18.6#
      total == 102.43#

Comment

To get 22 to 23lb. tension on a low G string with 25.5" scale, you're looking at a string that would be around .090". Good luck finding a guitar string that thick. I reckon you could use a bass string. Good luck fitting it into a guitar tuner. I agree that if you want to go that low you'd be better off to get a longer scale instrument and possibly a 7 or 8 string, so you could still hit some higher notes.

Comment

Not happening. The tuning pegs and nut aren't going to handle it, and I'd expect bridge issues too. You didn't specify six-string, but even a seven-string might have trouble with the string gauge you'll require for that tuning, using stock parts.
          sigpic

Comment

Switch to the bass guitar.

Comment

May I suggest rubber bands?
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                Switch to the bass guitar.
                +1. That's what they were made for.

Comment

use light gauge strings, tune UP to drop G and then use an octave down pedal

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    +1. That's what they were made for.
                    +2

Comment

I get C# by using a guitar tuned to E and drop the pitch-shifter on my Boss GT-10 to -3 semitones. Any lower, it sounds stupid. I once (just for a laugh) dropped the pitchshifter all the way down. Sounds like a fuggin motorboat .

If you really must tune that low, get one of those polyphonic drop tuners, or do what I did. Be warned, pitch-shifting will introduce artifacts. You'll also notice the GT-10 "barks" at you when changing patches with different pitch settings
                      Last edited by wilkinsi; 05-23-2010, 09:21 AM.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

+1 on the baritone.

Comment

There was a guy on youtube who posted a video with him doing "BROOTAL"Drop G metal.

Sounded like me after 2 pounds of suicide wings and a few beers.

But you could ask him?
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

sorry to bring this back from the dead but would D'Addario 13-56 Jazz Guitar Strings do the job with a heavier thick string (low e). im joining drop g tuning band.
                            no sig.....

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Good luck intonating that. Get a baritone with more than a 26.5" scale.
                              +1 The biggest E string I've ever heard of or seen was a 0.70 and that was freaking massive. Also I know he said it's a TOM bridge but I wish him luck getting a string gauge that big to fit in the nut.
                              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X