Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret work in AZ??

Didn't know which section to put this..

Anyone have good experience with anyone in AZ (PHX area or Tucson) for fretwork? Need a level/crown or maybe a full refret on the Soloist Pro and don't want to attempt the compound radius on my own.
    Thanks.

And for that matter, how much wear would consitute a refret vs. just a level and crown?
    Last edited by warlok; 05-19-2010, 02:49 AM.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Ummmmm..... Anyone?? (chirp.. chirp..) Crap...

Comment

IIRC former JCFer Sid Slack works on guitars, and is in Phoenix. Unfortunately I haven't talked to Sid in quite a while so I don't have contact info. Maybe you can search Facebook, etc, or another veteran JCFer can weigh in on Sid. I would trust him.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Precision Guitar in Phoenix.
        Here's their fee chart.
        http://www.precisionguitaraz.com/services.html

They've never let me down.
        -Rick

Comment

www.atomicguitarworks.com
          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I just had a guitar refretted by Beck's Guitar's in Tempe. Guy did absolutely fabulous work, replaced my nut with a bone set up, and set up the guitar for me. The intonation is perfect. HE says he's done work for a bunch of professional players, and I think his work is top notch.

However, the guy is borderline insane, and I'm pretty sure he has Turretts syndrome, too. I must have caught him on a good day, because he has a ton of bad press, if you do some searching. So if you're feeling lucky, you can give him a try, but I can't guarantee which guy is handle your guitar.

www.becksguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              IIRC former JCFer Sid Slack works on guitars, and is in Phoenix. Unfortunately I haven't talked to Sid in quite a while so I don't have contact info. Maybe you can search Facebook, etc, or another veteran JCFer can weigh in on Sid. I would trust him.
              I haven't heard from Sid since around 2004 when he was still working at Scottsdale Guitar Center.

Comment

Beck is a wack job. I would avoid him like the plague.

Originally posted by kevhogAZ View Post
                I just had a guitar refretted by Beck's Guitar's in Tempe. Guy did absolutely fabulous work, replaced my nut with a bone set up, and set up the guitar for me. The intonation is perfect. HE says he's done work for a bunch of professional players, and I think his work is top notch.

However, the guy is borderline insane, and I'm pretty sure he has Turretts syndrome, too. I must have caught him on a good day, because he has a ton of bad press, if you do some searching. So if you're feeling lucky, you can give him a try, but I can't guarantee which guy is handle your guitar.

www.becksguitars.com
                Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                  Beck is a wack job. I would avoid him like the plague.
                  Apparently, I got very lucky!! I'd really have a hard time recommending him to anybody, since he's so damn crazy!

Comment

I searched Sid Slack and his FB and myspace say he's in Tacoma so that's probably out. Now that you mention Becks, I remember alot of bad comments on CL about them. I think I'll steer clear... I emailed and got replies from Precision and Atomic for refrets for $275 and $300 but may be OK with a L/C/P cause of the big frets so we'll see. I'll check the wallet and see when I can take it in. Thanks for the replies fellas!!

Comment

Have you decided who you're gonna take your guitar to, yet?? I just found out my DXMG's wiring is all jacked up, and I want to have a professional fix it. I was leaning towards Precision, since they're not quite as far away as Atomic.

Comment

Not yet. I've been painting and working on other stuff in my house and haven't had much time. I'm 65+ miles from Atomic and 50 from Precision and still need to make sure what money I can spend too just in case I do need a refret. May be a while still before I take it in.

Comment

I know Wulffson guitars might hook you up

http://www.wulffson.com/
                          "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

I will add that Beck's guys do good work, at least the guy who worked there when I had a fret job done about 10 years ago. I believe it was shortly after he had a weapons violation, accidental discharge in his shop, hitting a lady in the boutique next to his shop. Ugh...

His acoustics are nice too, but when I went in there one time to get a phenolic nut for guitar I was restoring, he told me "Phenolic is for fags"....my reply was... "I wouldn't know" , scratched my head and left.
                            That is my story...I am sticking to it.
                            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                              when I went in there one time to get a phenolic nut for guitar I was restoring, he told me "Phenolic is for fags"....my reply was... "I wouldn't know" , scratched my head and left.
                              Then the Totino's robot said "awkward"

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X