clear chipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear chipping

How common is it for the clear to chip off on the neck binding? About a year ago I had some issues because I had taped off the FB to polish the frets and some clear had come off w/ the tape. I was able to repair those chips with the info from some of you out there (thank you ) . But I recently noticed another new chip has developed. It must have been through normal use, and now I'm wondering if there is an issue with the clear on my guitar or it's normal for an instrument that is 23 years old.

No one? Odd...

Comment

I only had 1 guitar with a lot of chips along the binding 2 or 3 yrs ago. It was a one of the Shannon soloists from the late 90s that I got from ebay which I promptly returned. It was mainly on the the underside by the high E and just a little bit on the low E side, but it spanned many frets, at least 5th thru 15th. The rest of the guitar was tip top shape so I don't know what could have caused this. I guess strong tape could have done it. Or maybe someone playing w a lot of rings on their hands banging against the clearcoat.

BTW, when I do tape the board, I use the low tack stuff, blue or even extra-low tack, which I think is green (3M). And even then, I may place the tape across the carpet 1st to lower the tackiness.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I stopped taping the FB to polish the frets after the first incident. Someone here pointed out that it really wasn't necessary and the steel wool wouldn't do and harm as long as I use it gently with the grain. I probably won't be using any tape even the low tack stuff, but it's good to know. I used the blue 3M tape the first time, and it took some clear off in 3 spots. Anyhow, I noticed the chip the other day on the bass side. It could have only happened while playing. I keep it in the case when it's not in use. It just makes me wonder if it's a sign of an underlying issue or just another battle scar.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
          BTW, when I do tape the board, I use the low tack stuff, blue or even extra-low tack, which I think is green (3M). And even then, I may place the tape across the carpet 1st to lower the tackiness.
          The low tack stuff is the best way to go. You could use a blow dryer to lightly heat the tape up before removal. Anyone notice a roll of this stuff is $6 now!!

Comment

Not uncommon, and you can use super glue (or clear nail polish if you like) to fill the chips in. It'll most likely happen again, so I'd keep doing what you've stated.

Sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

OK, thanks for the info Sully.

Comment

Working...
              X