Pickup set help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup set help?

I want to start saving for a new pickup pair to replace the HZs in my new DXMG, I'm thinking between blackouts and the EMG ZW Combo, can I get any reviews?
    Gear

Jackson DXMG
    Jackson JS30RR
    Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
    Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
    Blackstar HT5H
    Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
    Marshall JCM 800 2203
    Marshall 1960A Cab

Some people prefer Blackouts, some prefer EMG's. They are kind of like Coke and Pepsi. Slightly different flavours of the same thing. I have Blackouts in one of my guitars and think they're great. The can be wired up using the compatible quickconnectors and just swapped out at will which is nice.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have had both, I stuck with the EMG's except I put the 85 in the bridge & the 81 in the neck.
      According To The Prophecy

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        Some people prefer Blackouts, some prefer EMG's. They are kind of like Coke and Pepsi. Slightly different flavours of the same thing. I have Blackouts in one of my guitars and think they're great. The can be wired up using the compatible quickconnectors and just swapped out at will which is nice.
        so are you saying that if I leave an open packet of EMGs out overnight on my kitchen counter, in the morning they'll taste like Blackouts?
        Hail yesterday

Comment

No, they'll taste like Pepsi, get it straight man.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

So, I'm not getting a proper review in other words? ¬_¬
            Gear

Jackson DXMG
            Jackson JS30RR
            Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
            Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
            Blackstar HT5H
            Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
            Marshall JCM 800 2203
            Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

No one can tell you what you like... I've heard good things about the Blackouts, but I've never tried them. I don't really like EMG's much, but I have used them, and have a guitar that has them in it. I like it for that "EMG sound" which you just, need sometimes, but I don't find them very versatile. Oh, sure, you can play everything from Death Angel to surf tunes on them, but they just sound a lot better for Death Angel.

Comment

I have different emg's in different guitars. 81/85 in a DKMG.. Love em for everything. 81/85 (ZW set) in a Warlock Platinum Pro.. not so much, kinda sterile. 85 in bridge of a Warslinger.. Love it, best rhythm guitar I have. 85/S/S in a Soloist Pro.. Still deciding, need to rewire and adjust to make the final call. Never tried BO's so can't help there. A lot of people have said they're thin and not versatile but I think they're good for most things I've used them for. Obviously they're made for heavy stuff and do it well but I also used my DKMG for a version of Tesla - Only You for my brother to cover as a present to his wife and it sounded great. But it was also through a POD 2.0 12 string setting off customtone.com... so very colored. Like was said before it's your taste that matters so it's tough to say which you should get. Good luck man.

BTW - the rest of my guitars all have Duncans except the strat with dimarzios... Like MAJNH says, there's a need for everything..
                Last edited by warlok; 05-07-2010, 01:31 AM.
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Can I just get some opinions on which pickups out of the two you use? (if any)

Also If it helps I like to play stuff like Bullet for my valentine(Even if you guys hate it), As I lay dying, Metallica and Lamb of God.
                  Gear

Jackson DXMG
                  Jackson JS30RR
                  Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                  Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                  Blackstar HT5H
                  Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                  Marshall JCM 800 2203
                  Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

never tried Blackouts. Took the one set of EMGs I've had out of the guitar they were in.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

This might blow your mind...but there are other forumns that might give you better results since you're too lazy to jump on youtube and listen...

I have played both BO's and EMGs...

Comment

I prefer blackouts. Better midrange IMO.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I have both..and I prefer the Blackouts..BUT my Blackout is running at 18v and the Emg's at 9v and I have no idea if that is what makes the difference....I think you'd be happy with either to be honest.

Comment

If you go with the Blackouts I would suggest using 2 neck models. I think the neck model sounds better than the bridge model does. I thought the bridge model was overly bassy.

Comment

I've played EMGs (81/85) and hated them. Thin and lifeless. I hear that the Blackouts are better from that perspective, but I have no experience with them personally.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X