Ever seen this set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever seen this set up?

This is the Jay Black guitar I have and was wondering if any of you tech types have seen anything like this.
    I vol, 2 tones, 2 coil taps and that blue thing with the wires coming out of it.
    The blue thing has me stumped not sure what it is or what it does its just glued in place.
    Guitar is dead quiet even on the single coil pick up.
    Not sure if its a cap or what because the are no caps wired in the circuit.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Looking at how its wired, should be a cap.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Might also be a dummy coil, which some pick-up manufacturers use to eliminate hum with single-coil pickups. Dunno fer sure, though.

Comment

If it is the tone cap it being wired to the OP jack is a bit strange. No expert but that would be a strange place for a dummy coil. I cant think of any other good reason for a cap there on a passive circuit either, maybe as some sort of buffer, but why?? Stumps me too, interesting though.
        Last edited by Twitch; 05-02-2010, 03:11 PM.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Wow, Google doesnt really have shit on the topic except for a couple of other people wondering what the hell a Jay Black guitar is too.

Comment

Still no luck finding out what this blue thing is for sure. Jay Black was a master builder for Fender way back when.

Comment

Well if its of his design, and not someone elses, there may be a chance then that there are some Fenders out there with this thing. Good luck huntin that down though.

Comment

At first I thought it might be a cap. too, but there looks like 3 leads coming out of it. My guess is an electronic thingy.

Comment

Eggs Ackley my thought too a thingy.LOL

Comment

Where does the blue wire end up? Is the black wire grounded or is it just taped off?

Comment

The black and red appear to be going to the output jack (hot and ground), so the only question is where does the blue wire go? Looks like it makes detours to the Tone pots, then continues up into the grey cable shielding.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Red to the hot side of the jack.
                        Blue to the center lug of the middle tone pot.
                        Black to the center lug of the tone pot to the far right.
                        Beats the shit out of me just what it is.
                        Sounds killer so its staying put.

Comment

An induction coil, maybe? Built-in wah using the Tone knobs? Can't be, but odder shit's been done

I'd say look around for Tone pot mods - Treble Bleed, something that gives a Tone pot a little more influence, etc - might turn out to be some secret tomfoolery stuffed into an old electrolytic capacitor housing.

Then again, if there's no capacitors on the Tone pots already, then it's gotta be a capacitor. May be a bit overkill, though.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I figured its a cap of some sort because there are no caps.Not even an "A" frame treble bleed on the vol pot.

Comment

Working...
                            X