Threaded insert removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded insert removal

I know I saw a thread somewhere about removing the threaded inserts for the jt580, but I cant find it now that I need it. I have an OFR for my project guitar but I can't think of any good ways to remove the old inserts. If any one has any info on this it would really help me out.

Pull it out carefully?

You thread in the stud, and pull up on it.

Hopefully some hack didn't crazy glue it.

Comment

This is particularly tricky with a painted finish. It needs to be withdrawn perpendicular to the surface. I use a drill press and a used stud to pull it out. You lock the drill chuck on the post after you have it threaded into the insert. Then crank it up and out. Another way to do it with more risk is to use a claw hammer and a board. Put the board down on the surface, and put the claw of hammer on a stud protected with tape and carefully pry it out.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

You can also make an extractor using a rubber washer & a stack of metal washers (or short piece of pipe and one metal washer) bigger in diameter than the bushing. Run a bolt (with threads matching the bushing) through the stack & into the bushing. As you tighten, it'll pull the bushing out and the rubber washer will protect the finish. It works great, but sometimes it's tricky finding the bolt with matching threads, and you may need to go to a specialty fastener place. I've collected a few different bolts over the years for different licensed Floyd bushings.

Comment

I just did this recently, I went to home depot, and got a long bolt with matching threads, and screwed it into the insert, when it bottoms out in the hole the insert comes right out.
          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Find a smaller diameter bolt that will drop down into the insert.
            Thread the stud in until it bottoms out against the smaller bolt,
            and tighten the stud to press out the insert.

If the insert doesn't want to break loose it may have been glued.
            If so, heat it up with a Weller solder gun.

I suggest you first, carefully score the paint around the edge of the insert with an Xacto knife to prevent paint/wood chipping.
            Models
            The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
            I dont need furniture.
            If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
            If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
            And rock that sucker.

Comment

The only trouble with threading the bolt through is that the insert will spin, and shave off the little ridges inside the hole. These ridges are formed when the insert is pressed in and help keep it in place. Shaving them down can result in new inserts not seating properly and lifting up by themselves as the trem is used.

If there's nothing wrong with the inserts, leave them in. If you're repainting, plug them with a scrap set of posts or a bolt with the same threading.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

A Floyd will fit the existing posts. just leave them.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                    A Floyd will fit the existing posts. just leave them.
                    I agree--at least with regard to the post spacing an FR is a direct fit.

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/52679-Technical-Info-Paint-to-Parts

12th post in Sully's sticky

Comment

I would just leave them if I had the posts. When I got the guitar it was missing most of the parts. And the floyd posts won't screw into the inserts already in the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Echo View Post
                          I would just leave them if I had the posts. When I got the guitar it was missing most of the parts. And the floyd posts won't screw into the inserts already in the guitar.
                          You need the right diameter posts with the right threads per inch. I don't think they're hard to find--check ebay. It's a lot easier and less risky than removing the existing posts. If they're pressed in you could damage the wood by removing them. I've seen some that had an epoxy on them, too.

Comment

I usually just run the post all the way down that kind of breaks them loose because the stud bottoms out on the body pushing up on the insert then unscrew the stud and grip it with some needle nose vice grips(and a rag around the stud so not to damage it)and pull straight up.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                            X