Installing Tuners - jig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Tuners - jig?

Thinking about installing Schaller tuners on one of my ProMods - need to drill new screw holes for the... screws. I've done this before by eye - and the results were OK - but maybe one was crooked.

Any good advice for making sure your tuners are straight when drilling?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Easy peasy for Schallers.

The bottom is pretty much flat. Use a short (6") straightedge or some other tool with a good flat/straight edge, held against the bottom of the tuners to line them up.

So, you're looking at the back of the headstock, you put the thin edge of the straightedge against the bottom of the tuner (opposite the shaft/head) and you'll see what I mean, they should all be nice and straight up against the edge.

Once you get them where they need to be, tighten the nuts down enough to secure them, and double-check they are still straight. Center punch the middle of the holes with something (I use a needle file) very carefully and drill the holes.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I was also thinking - install 1 & 6, make sure they're straight, mark the holes, then draw a straight line between them and that will line you up for 2-5. I thought that might be easier than trying to keep all 6 straight at the same time....
      Blank yo!

Comment

Why swap tuners?

Comment

Aesthetics.
          Blank yo!

Comment

Grovers are ugly.

Comment

Also, speaking from recent experience, do the drilling on a bench and not while sitting down holding the guitar neck between your legs...

And don't rush. Rushing leads to a crooked low e string tuner.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                Grovers are ugly.
                They look damn good on a Les Paul, though.
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  They look damn good on a Les Paul, though.
                  I can't argue with that... And you know if I could, I would!

Comment

Before drilling, see if there is a Schaller tuner that will fit the hole that's already there. I'm not familar with the promod tuners. Is the tab at 4 o'clock like current gotohs like on the DK2M? If so, warmoth sells a locking Schaller (at least they call em Schallers, even though I can't find a brand on them) that has the tab in the same place and can retrofit no problem.

BTW, I used to own a 1st year production '95 Jimmy Page LP with gold Grover tuners, and the low E tuner was completely crooked. Such a let down for such an expensive guitar. I was gonna redrill to make it straight but was afraid it'd kill the resale vaue if I sold it which I did several years later.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

No the Grover mini's screw tabs don't line up with the standard Gotoh/Schaller tab - so you have to drill.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                      X