Torque specs for neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque specs for neck?

Hey guys, happy NGD to me. I got a 2007 DK2M, but it didn't have a case. Props to the seller, I've never been more impressed with packing. But to be safe he unbolted the neck.

Can someone tell me the torque specs for the neck screws?
    Pic just cause:

PS - I did search. I suspect the search is still broken.
    I only need one more guitar.

Can't tell you the specs, but its a misconception that these screws need to be very tight. You just want to tighten them until the stop turning. You don't need to crank down on them.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

You want to use German torque specs: Goodentight.

I would not say tighten them as tight as you can get them or anything, but they need to be tight enough to keep the neck from moving around. Somewhere between "snug" and "stripped."

If you use a quality screwdriver, and one hand, and aim to get them "good and tight" you should be fine.

Comment

I used worked at a machine shop, who's torque specs were tighten until you twist the head of the bolt off, then back it up 1/2 a turn.

For your guitar, I'd tighten until its snug, and call it good.

Comment

Heh. This is exactly why I want to use a torque wrench.

Comment

Using a torque wrench on the neck screws is like... Using a torque wrench on something you really don't need to use a torque wrench on.

Comment

Like lugnuts?

Comment

No, I use a torque wrench on lug nuts! And I wouldn't use one on neck bolts.

Comment

For your amusement:
                  I had a friend of mine who has been a dealership mechanic for 20 something years now tell me not to bother with a torque wrench on my lugnuts, because he'd been "doing it this way at work for years." While I was putting my rear tires back on in the rear, he used an air impact to put them on in the front.

The next night I lost a wheel while driving. A front wheel.

So needless to say I never let anyone else touch either of my cars...ESPECIALLY not dealership mechanics.

Comment

Yeah I used to swap rims twice a year (summers on in the summer, all seasons for late fall to spring) and I did the whole torque wrench/drive it around the block a couple of times/re-torque and everything. Never had one loose after the test drive around the block but it was nice to be sure.

Comment

I've only ever put lugnuts on with a tire iron. Only had a tire fall off once when I legitimately didn't tighten the lugnuts - you know - snug them while its on the jack, lower it, then crank em tight - didn't do the crank 'em tight. However, I must say, had I been driving at the time, I would have noticed before the tire fell off.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

there is no spec because the tension needed is directly related to the wood. if the wood is not pushing or pulling like it should when strung up, adjust the truss rod till it is. with the no strings on i'd start with making the neck as flat as possible, then with strings on it should pull just enough relief. if not, then adjust. but always adjust no more than a 1/4 turn at a time then wait a few hours for the wood to settle then check again.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Hey DR - he's talking about the neck bolts, not the trussrod.
                          Blank yo!

Comment

I was told to always have the mechanic tighten the lugnuts manually, as when they use the impact they're likely to overtighten and tighten unevenly potentially warping the rotors.

On that note, I'm pretty retentive but I don't need a torque wrench to tighten neck screws.
                            |My CSG gallery|
                            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
                              But to be safe he unbolted the neck.
                              :think:

That's a first I've heard, would immediately have alarmbells ringing in the back of my mind

I would've sent it back, "sorry, I bought a guitar, not a DIY Toycaster"
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X