Tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning question

I have a Charvel 550xl set up for drop-d with super low action. I want to tune it to drop-c. for a while and then back to drop-d. I may do this back and forth. Will this screw up my bridge setup?
    RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Yes and no. You will need to adjust the tension on the tremolo springs if the tremolo is set up to float. The intonation will be off a little when you detune, but it might not be a big deal (a guitar's intonation is always off, anyway.)

Comment

Not to mention the strings will be pretty loose compared to when in Drop D. You could always set it up in Drop C and play the Drop D stuff two frets higher up, although the open strings won't sound quite right.

Comment

Tune to dropc use a capo for drop d
        Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
        RR1 Black
        RR1 Blue ghost flames
        Stealth EX
        Hamer Studio
        Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

Originally posted by mrhiwatt View Post
          Tune to dropc use a capo for drop d
          This is the answer

Although, on my SL2H, I jump between E and D standard often, so I set it up for Eb in a wicked experiment to see whether I could change tunings with minimal tension changes and it worked pretty well...
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
          X