Floyd Rose Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Special

How are these compared to other liscensed floyd's,I don't expect it to be as good as an OFR,but because it is made as a ''Floyd Rose''product.Any comments,good or bad?

I just got one today. It's not a bad trem at all. It comes with a pot metal sustain block but I replaced mine with a real Floyd block and it fit perfect. Other than that, very well made.

Comment

I've got one on the way and I think I'll get one of those Big Block sustain brass blocks and put it on my Model 4M.
      Where can I get one of the ''42mm''replacement blocks for a reasonable price and it would make a worthwhile upgrade.
      Thanks.
      Last edited by hunter1970; 04-15-2010, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Buy them from floydupgrades.com or find them on Ebay, who knows what you're getting from Ebay, though.

Comment

You might not be able to use a 42mm big block. On most guitars, it takes up so much space in the cavity that it effectively gives you a blocked trem i.e. no float. They recommend a 37mm if you want a floating trem. 42 is fine if you like it blocked, or have a non-recessed trem.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Floyd Specials. They're cheap enough that it's probably not a bad deal. But it probably won't last as long as a MIK Floyd, or a licensed one from Gotoh and def not as durable as a MIG Floyd and MIG licensed Schaller trem.

Comment

I did test a 37mm big block from Floydupgrades on the Special, so those blocks will fit. But like Krymson stated, it depends on the cavity as to whether a 42mm will work. For most applications, you're looking at a 37mm.

Comment

I'm putting it on a Charvel Model 4M,non-recessed route.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter1970 View Post
                I'm putting it on a Charvel Model 4M,non-recessed route.
                Interesting and it fits on a Model 4?

Can you put a D-tuna on these Special?
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I put a 42mm on a Charvel Pro Mod body and you could get a few cents of pull-up at best.

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                    Interesting and it fits on a Model 4?

Can you put a D-tuna on these Special?
                    Not 100% certain, but probably. Appears all the specs (measurement wise) are the same. The only obvious difference is the studs are smaller. Mainly, it's just a different standard of quality...not bad though...like stated above, certainly not a MIG and less than a MIK, but well above a licensed unit.

Comment

What size are the sustain blocks in a JT-6,because thats what size I'll need for the Floyd Rose Special,it came with a block that has 34mm stamped into it and its definately shorter than my floyd copy that I have in my mij 1987 Charvel

Comment

The gold color on the FRSpecial is actually more of what I was lookin for because its not shiny but looks more like brass and suits my taste in keeping the look toned down and gives it a more vintage trem look of the newer charvels that have the vintage trem

Comment

What size are the sustain blocks in a JT-6,because thats what size I'll need for the Floyd Rose Special,it came with a block that has 34mm stamped into it and its definately shorter than my floyd copy that I have in my mij 1987 Charvel
                          JT-6 trem blocks are 42 mm.
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

The gold color on the FRSpecial is actually more of what I was lookin for because its not shiny but looks more like brass and suits my taste in keeping the look toned down and gives it a more vintage trem look of the newer charvels that have the vintage trem
                            They come in 3 different gold finishes actually...shiny gold, satin gold and an antiqued brass.

Comment

So,6string40, I'm guessing the one I got from you is the ''satan gold'',ha-ha!!

Comment

Working...
                              X