Floyd Rose identification and terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose identification and terms

Hey guys, I've been reading about the brass block upgrades, etc, and I see a lot of terms flying around that I'm unfamiliar with, mostly related to Floyd Rose bridges. I looked at the most excellent sticky at the top of this forum, and it had most of my answers in picture form. Awesome! Except that the links to pics are all broken. I'd really really like to see some of those pictures. Are they archived somewhere? Can someone possibly fix the sticky post?

What's the difference between a 'recessed' floyd rose and a non-recessed?
    ("original floyd rose" = non-recessed?)

I see a lot of references to OFR (Original right?) Floyd Rose bridges, and the different models Schaller bridges.

I have 2 bridges from USA select series that are only a few years old. They say Floyd Rose on the top and nothing else. Are they considered "original" floyd roses?

I have 3 Schaller bridges from 90-95 USA and Pro series japan guitars - they all have the same markings on the top. "Jackson" on the top, "made in germany by schaller" on the bottom, "licensed under floyd rose patents" under the tuners.

I'll post some pics to make things simple:

Before you recoil in horror at the nastiness in that first pic, that guitar's gotten a backseat for many years, but I'm going to clean it up and reset it now that I've yanked the midi pickup off.
    Floyd-upgrades is going to get a big check in a few days...

Thanks in advance!
    -Forrest
    I only need one more guitar.

Difference between recessed and non-recessed is the route under the bridge. Both your pics are recessed. A non recessed (like on a Model 6) has no route except the hole where the block goes through the body. They sit above the body, strings are higher off the body, and normally have a higher neck angle to compensate for the higher bridge, and have a longer block to reach the back where the springs are. The actual bridge has nothing different about it.

OFR is Original Floyd Rose and yes, the ones you have are them. They are made in germany (they say made in germany on the bottom of the plate) or in asia like yours are (like on the promods. They don't say where they're made but FR stands behind them just like the german ones). The Schallers you have are "Jackson JT590's". They are made by Schaller, exact specs as the ones that say Schaller on them, just branded for Jackson (or charvel, Gibson, or whoever they made them for..)

Every bridge you have is solid, dependable, desirable, and basically top of the heap!!
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I was looking at the pictures above and noticed that his jt590 appears to have the same casting flaw as mine. Around the jackson logo there appears to be little bumps. On mine I thought there was moisture getting under the paint and rusting causing them, until I started prepping it for repaint and found that it was metal. Anyone else ever notice that on an early 90's 590? Just curious. Im smoothing mine out right there before I repaint it. Drives me nuts. lol

Comment

My trem is the same. They look textured similar to how the JT-6 Trem is textured and not flat & smooth

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
          My trem is the same. They look textured similar to how the JT-6 Trem is textured and not flat & smooth

Yours looks fine, thats just the texture from sand casting. Mine has bumps/bubbles that would appear to be rust damage under the paint but are in the casting, and the OP's kinda looks like his has them too.

Sorry for the shitty, blurry pic. It's all i gots.

Comment

Forrest, I think you can find a complete version of the tremolo info project at audiozone.dk. I can't load it right now, but it should be there.

Comment

I've seen plenty that had those pits/bumps under the paint. It's not the texturing, it's little bumps here and there that look like someone poked the wet paint with a pin.

I think it's from the smoothing process after it's been stamped out. My employer uses a ceramic rock-based smoothing process for knocking the rough edge off stamped metal parts, and there are fine particles left on them.

The stuff on the trems isn't a problem as far as corrosion/weakening, though.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What about the ''Floyd Rose Special'',anybody have any comments on them,good or bad,I'm curious because I'm gettin one for my Model 4.

Comment

Working...
                X