Which OFR nut? R3 or R4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which OFR nut? R3 or R4?

I'm putting together a list of parts for the guitar I'm building and I just wanted to double check something related to OFR nuts.

Floyd Rose offers 2 nuts for 1 11/16” width nuts. One is for narrow spacing (R3) which I assume is for necks that have binding and the other nut (R4) is for necks without binding.

The guitar I'm building will have a 1 11/16" nut and no binding on the neck so I'm assuming that I should get an R4 nut, correct? I've got a couple of Charvels that have OFRs (and necks with no binding) but I have no idea which nut they have. I vaguely remember that most folks go for an R3 nut on an unbound 1 11/16" nut which is why I'm questioning which one to get.

could be a 3, my kramer has a 4. but I have also seen a 2 on a stx custom charvel! I don't think binding has anything to do with it!
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

It also depends on the type of player you are. Some guys like the larger shelf on the side for "vibrations" I prefer the wider shelf to the out side of the strings, that is why I generally build my own guitars with an R5 and a really wide neck. I Vibrate a lot.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

If the frets continue out to the end of the binding, then you can choose whichever one you prefer, narrow or wide string spacing.

I prefer the R3 so the strings aren't so close to the edge of the neck, and the R3 spacing on a 1-11/16ths neck is wide enough for me, but I am also comfortable on a 1-5/8ths nut width.

Charvel uses R3's on the Pro Mods, Jackson uses R3's on non-custom USA and import Soloists and DK1's from 2002 up at least (these are all I've taken apart).

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
          I Vibrate a lot.
          Heh, you should put that on your resume'.

Comment

If I were to replace the floyd on my SL1, what R should I get?

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
              I will tell you the answer, if you promise to read the whole thread, and every response first, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
                R3.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thanks to both wilkinsi and MakeAJazzNoiseHere!!

Comment

I prefer R3's in all cases

Comment

I can't imagine someone preferring the R4 and having the strings closer to the fret ends, but... There's always someone.

Comment

I have no clue what is on my DKMG, but when I play certain chords, the high E string is coming off the neck and I have NEVER had that problem before. My neck has binding on it by the way, it looks like they didn't center it right and I have a lot more space between the low E and the edge of the fingerboard than I do with the high E.
                        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Loosen the neck bolts just a little and push the neck over so the strings are centered.

Comment

Remove the strings, remove screws from nut, remove rut and turn round to reveal the R"x". But if the low E is coming off the board, wouldn't that suggest the nut is stripped or the neck is warped?
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                            X