New Jackson, question about string gauge and nut size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jackson, question about string gauge and nut size

Hey all, I'm getting a DKMGT in the next few days and had some concerns regarding string gauges. I'm going to be putting on 12-56's (or maybe 13-56's, not sure which would require more work) and tuning to B Standard. I know this will require a set up in the form of intonation and truss rod adjustment, but my biggest concern is with the nut. Will 12-56's (or 13-56's) fit into the standard nut that is on the DKMGT (the size of it is 1-11/16th)

So yea, thats my main question, and any answers/advice/tips would be awesome.

chances are you'll have to file the nut grooves a lil so they sit properly. IIRC SRV used a 58 on the low E on a strat so i dont see there being any real issue with using a 56.........oh wait, i think SRV used a bass frets at the first few frets or somethin. anyways, it should be fine.

oh and welcome to JCF

Comment

Wow, why not just get a 7-string?

Anyway, I'd expect to have to file the nut slots a bit for that 56 to fit. The other strings should be fine.
      Scott

Comment

Alright, cool, thats what I figured. Any tips/suggestions on the best way to go about widening the slot? I'm already planning on taking the guitar in to get set up (I could take the time and do it myself but i'd rather get all of it done in one sweep since i'm going to such a different gauge/tuning). Should I just get them to widen the slot(s) then or is there a method I could go about doing myself thats easy?

Comment

Just use a needle file and check the fit regularly until it is opened up enough. Will only take maybe 15 minutes.

Comment

Working...
          X