37mm big block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37mm big block

I've decided to get a 37mm brass big block from floydupgrade.com on my soloist. From what I've read on various threads here it should fit. I know the 32mm will definitely fit but if I can go bigger, why not. Sound right? And it sounds like it's a worthwhile upgrade from the positive responses people have had. I can't wait to try it out! Does Adam ship fast?

Last edited by Sharkfin; 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM.

I always hear if your bridge isn't recessed, you can go with a 42mm, but if it is recessed you are limited to a 37 or the block will hit the back plate on a bend.
    Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
    http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Really? 42mm, that's huge! I forgot to mention the trem is not recessed and I don't keep the rear cover on. Would a block of that size equally restrict the full range of motion to pull up or down as a 37mm or would it be more restrictive? I know the 37mm affects the ability to pull up some.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
        Really? 42mm, that's huge! I forgot to mention the trem is not recessed and I don't keep the rear cover on. Would a block of that size equally restrict the full range of motion to pull up or down as a 37mm or would it be more restrictive? I know the 37mm affects the ability to pull up some.
        Having the cover on is the limiting factor for a 42 mm block. There's a huge amount of un-used space in the underside trem route--even the big blocks are a lot smaller than what could actually work in the space available.

Comment

If you'd read my thread you'd have a real life answer.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to go for 42mm block.

Comment

I got my 42mm block today in the mail. I have to say I'm really impressed with the difference in tone and sustain with the new block. It's almost like a different guitar! I love the way it sounds. I'm losing a mm or 2 in my range of motion as far as pulling up on the Floyd but I'm not sweating it. I'm going to get one now for my other soloist too. Here's a side by side comparison of the stock Floyd block and the 42mm block & installed. I would highly recommend getting one of these is you haven't. I'm a believer.

Last edited by Sharkfin; 06-07-2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I have Big blocks in all my floyd equipped guitars. Havent found a guitar it doesnt help. You do lose a bit of upward motion but the tone is simply amazing..Very warm punchy lows, with a nice bump in the mids.. You should check out the Brass spring claw as well as the silent springs. You will want them for all your guitars. Adam at Floydupgrades.com is a great guy as well, super fast shipping and always knows what is best for whatever guitar you throw at him..

Comment

Working...
                X