B String Stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B String Stick

My B string on my 1982 Model 1 with an old floating Kahler has started to stick and go flat after each bend. I've changed strings and cleaned all the saddles. I can hear it "ping" at the locking nut but can't get it to stop doing it. Hitting the bar brings it back in tune but I want the problem alleviated. Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Dave

If it were all strings I would say loose nut but with it being 1 string, I would assume the b-e tensioner has a groove in it. You can try rotating it 180 degrees in the base but then you might run into the same problem with the e string.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      If it were all strings I would say loose nut but with it being 1 string, I would assume the b-e tensioner has a groove in it. You can try rotating it 180 degrees in the base but then you might run into the same problem with the e string.
      +1
      If that doesn't work, you can get the whole string lock here.
      http://www.wammiworld.com/u7513.html

You got any pics of it?
      From your description, I think what you have is an 86 Model 2 or 3.
      Last edited by Tricky; 03-25-2010, 12:38 AM.
      Models
      The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
      I dont need furniture.
      If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
      If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
      And rock that sucker.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll try that.
        Yes, I can send a pic to you Tricky. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll do that. I think you may be right about the year and it may be a model 2 for all I know. It's been so long since I bought it I can't really remember what year it was. The neck plate is a Ft. Worth address and with what I've read it may be around '83 but I'm not sure.

Also, thanks for the link for parts. That's cool to know!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by rustthepan View Post
          My B string on my 1982 Model 1 with an old floating Kahler
          You have one 4 years before anyone else

Yours is most likely a 1986 Model 2. Please post pics so that we can help you out.

If it doesn't have a locking nut, I'd say it's a nut problem, but if it's a trem with rollers, are the rollers rolling easy? If they get sticky that might be your problem.

Comment

Nut Problem

Yeah, I'm sure it's a "nut problem" (ha ha) as that's where the "ping" is heard from and the rollers are working fine.

I'm new to this site. Where would I post a pic so you'd know where it was?

Thanks for your help. You're most likely right about '86 Model 2.

Dave

Comment

If you ISP gives your free web space, you can upload your pictures to that and link to them.

If not, most use photobucket or some other service.

Nut problems are common with all non-nut-locking guitars (Fender, Gibson, etc). Slots are often too deep and pinch the string. When the pinching gives, you hear the "ping".

The strange thing is, if you have a locking system above the nut, if you lock the strings, they can't move that far, and you shouldn't be having these issues. Are you locking the strings with the clamps?

If you aren't using the clamps, you'll need nut service if possible, or a new nut.

If you feel like doing it yourself, go to Stew-Mac.com for DVD's, books and tools.

Comment

New Nut

Thanks guys! Got a new nut from the Whammi guy that was mentioned and problem solved

She's playing as sweet as ever!

Comment

Working...
                X