SL1 Fret Size and Wamorth Neck Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL1 Fret Size and Wamorth Neck Question

I love the neck on my 2004 USA Soloist. I am just ordering a neck from Wamorth for a build I am doing and I want the neck to be similar.

I'm not sure what neck back contour to go for that would be similar. They offer the following here...

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/...ntoursPop.aspx

Also what size fret wire is on a soloist? I know it's jumbo but what exact size? 6150, 6130 etc etc ???

The neck I am buying is from the showcase and will be a 10-16 radius, how will this compare?

thank you in advance

Well, I have a couple of Soloists and built some Warmoths so... I'll take a stab at this anyway.

I believe the 6100 would be closest. I use the 61GD which is very similar to 6100 (2 hundredths narrower and 2 hundredths taller) and the frets on my Soloist appear to be wider than the 61GD, so it would pretty much have to be the 6100 of the offerings they have.

Standard thin back, as far as I can tell. Jackson does not list the 1st fret dimension, but the 3rd fret is .795 and 12th is .850. That matches up to the Standard Thin at .8 (1st) to .850. I find the Standard Thin to be very comfortable, thick enough by the nut for chording and thin enough up higher for soloing. I think everything else they have would be relatively thick compared to the Soloist neck, and I wouldn't think of a Wizard neck, but if the Soloist is "thick-ish" to you like some people think, you may want to consider it.

The compound radius difference isn't much. It's a little more curved by the nut than a Jackson is, but nothing you won't feel right at home on.

I don't know if you're going to put this together yourself or what your experience level is, but you may need a level/crown/polish on your new neck to get the action really good. Actually, even if the frets are all nice and even, you may want to have a little fall-away ground into the upper frets if you want to get the action as low as possible.

But, a good "set-up" should include that, if you're not doing it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
      Well, I have a couple of Soloists and built some Warmoths so... I'll take a stab at this anyway.

I believe the 6100 would be closest. I use the 61GD which is very similar to 6100 (2 hundredths narrower and 2 hundredths taller) and the frets on my Soloist appear to be wider than the 61GD, so it would pretty much have to be the 6100 of the offerings they have.

Standard thin back, as far as I can tell. Jackson does not list the 1st fret dimension, but the 3rd fret is .795 and 12th is .850. That matches up to the Standard Thin at .8 (1st) to .850. I find the Standard Thin to be very comfortable, thick enough by the nut for chording and thin enough up higher for soloing. I think everything else they have would be relatively thick compared to the Soloist neck, and I wouldn't think of a Wizard neck, but if the Soloist is "thick-ish" to you like some people think, you may want to consider it.

The compound radius difference isn't much. It's a little more curved by the nut than a Jackson is, but nothing you won't feel right at home on.

I don't know if you're going to put this together yourself or what your experience level is, but you may need a level/crown/polish on your new neck to get the action really good. Actually, even if the frets are all nice and even, you may want to have a little fall-away ground into the upper frets if you want to get the action as low as possible.

But, a good "set-up" should include that, if you're not doing it yourself.
      Wow, thanks man I couldn't asked for a better response I really appreciate you taking the time for such an in depth response

Yeah I'll be doing the setup so a level / crown and polish will be in order I was pretty sure the standard thin was going to be the closest so I'm glad you agree. I was just a bit unsure about the frets so I'm glad you helped to clear that up

*off to order neck*

Comment

I'm always willing to get someone else to try a Warmoth. I really like mine, it's really become one of my favorite guitars. Enough I'm working on some more.

They say they are "This stuff is HUGE" about the 6100, but honestly, as long as their measurements are right for the 61GD and SS6100 vs the 6100 (nickle) I would say, unless you're used to little skinny weeny "vintage" frets you'll feel right at home with the big stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X