LFR Screw Help Please!!!!! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LFR Screw Help Please!!!!! :(

Hey guys, I decided to get out my old Rhoads (not even old) because I'm going to refurbish it. I decided to restring it, and when I tightened one of the strings, the screw head ripped off :think::ROTF:

It's kinda funny I guess, but does anybody know of a way I can get the screw out of the Trem Block itself? It's holding the string in, but I have an extra screw that I could use as a replacement. All I have to do is get the screw out, which I have no idea how to do :ROTF:

Edit, Worse news, another screw broke, this time, without the string inside, making the guitar unplayable
    Last edited by MetalHeadMat; 03-22-2010, 09:01 PM.

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
    Hey guys, I decided to get out my old Rhoads (not even old) because I'm going to refurbish it. I decided to restring it, and when I tightened one of the strings, the screw head ripped off :think::ROTF:

It's kinda funny I guess, but does anybody know of a way I can get the screw out of the Trem Block itself? It's holding the string in, but I have an extra screw that I could use as a replacement. All I have to do is get the screw out, which I have no idea how to do :ROTF:
    Use a really small left handed drill / extractor bit & a low power drill. Make sure you get it centered to the middle of the screw and drill in reverse. The left hand bit will drill into the bolt & then extract it. If your uncomfortable doing this take it in for repair. Good luck

Comment

Is any of the screw still sticking out of the saddle? If so, just loosen the string and remove intonation set screw, pull the whole saddle out and then you can grab it with some pliers or vice grips .

If it's broke off flush, I would just replace the whole saddle. Trying to drill that thing out without damaging the threads would be more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by rattlehead74 View Post
        Use a really small left handed drill / extractor bit & a low power drill. Make sure you get it centered to the middle of the screw and drill in reverse. The left hand bit will drill into the bolt & then extract it. If your uncomfortable doing this take it in for repair. Good luck
        Isn't working for me I might have to take it to a pro, Thank you anyways for your response.
        Originally posted by J.C. Harrist View Post
        Is any of the screw still sticking out of the saddle? If so, just loosen the string and remove intonation set screw, pull the whole saddle out and then you can grab it with some pliers or vice grips .

If it's broke off flush, I would just replace the whole saddle. Trying to drill that thing out without damaging the threads would be more trouble than it's worth.
        None at all, I think I'll have to end up replacing both saddles

Comment

Originally posted by J.C. Harrist View Post

Yeah you would need a tiny bit and a steady hand, If there is no screw sticking out I agree replacing the saddle would be the easiest fix. Plus with drilling you take a chance of scratching the trem.

Comment

Yeah you would need a tiny bit and a steady hand, If there is no screw sticking out I agree replacing the saddle would be the easiest fix. Plus with drilling you take a chance of scratching the trem.
            I just took the saddle out to do it, and it did nothing to take it out

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
              I just took the saddle out to do it, and it did nothing to take it out
              You drilled it with a left hand bit? Most left hand bits extrack the screw while turning counter clockwise. If you didn't and used a regular bit you will need a small screw extrator. Tap it in a little and with a pair of pliers turn it counter clockwise. If your having trouble I would just do what J.C. Harrist said and replace the saddle. Hope this helps.
              Last edited by rattlehead74; 03-22-2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

You drilled it with a left hand bit? Most left hand bits extrack the screw while turning counter clockwise. If you didn't and used a regular bit you will need a small screw extrator. Tap it in a little and with a pair of pliers turn it counter clockwise. If your having trouble I would just do what J.C. Harrist said and replace the saddle. Hope this helps.
                It really did. I don't have an extractor bt I'll see if my teacher at school might. If not I'm going to try and find a new saddle. Thanks

Comment

Remember you don't need to over tighten the string locks,snug them in and they will hold just fine.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                  X