Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much pull up range do you think a floating trem should have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much pull up range do you think a floating trem should have?

I recently installed Floydupgrades brass blocks on a couple of my OFR guitars. The thickness of the block does limit pull up range.

Anyway, I know this is very subjective depending on playing style and so forth, but for academic purposes, I'm interested in what your opinions are of what pull up range should be.

For example, on one guitar I can pull up to the following pitches after the big block installation:

high E: F + a few cents
    G: A# + a few cents
    low E: G + 1/4 step
    Last edited by Chad; 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM.

I generally like enough travel to make the strings go putwanghhhhh right off the guitar and damn near hit the cat.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Wow, I don't think I could get a G on the E string without breaking some strings. I'm using 10s though, so it's probably possible with 9s.
      Scott

Comment

Chad, I think you got your high and low E's reversed (high E normally refers to the thinnest E) but allowing for that the range you mentioned sounds about right. My guitars - both non recessed, and with the bridge plate being exactly parallel to the string angle- (I.e not parallel to the body, but tipped forward a little bit) will pull the G up a major 3rd, which is where I like it.

Comment

I like at least a step pull up. But as mentioned it varies per string and at minimum I like enough to do some wide up and down vibrato with the bar.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

On a recessed route, I expect to get the strings to fret out on the neck.

On a non-recessed route, I'm happy with a full step or more, but it doesn't always happen.

Sometimes, none at all is fine (blocked.)

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
              Wow, I don't think I could get a G on the E string without breaking some strings. I'm using 10s though, so it's probably possible with 9s.
              OH its possible alright. I make them go Putwaaanngghhhh right off the guitar. I have to wear safety glasses when I play guitar because of it. It fux up my stage personna and impairs my ability to land chicks.

Comment

One whole step is generally sufficient. 1½ is nice to have. If you can pull up beyond 2 whole steps on most strings, you will start breaking them.

Comment

Yeah, I made a typo and had it written backwards. Thanks for catching that. I edited the first post. To clarify, with my high E, I can pull up 1/2 step to F + a few cents. Wish I had more range.

I was researching this last night and found that Steve Vai specified that JEMs have routing that allows them to be pulled up a 5th on the G string (up to D).

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                    One whole step is generally sufficient. 1½ is nice to have. If you can pull up beyond 2 whole steps on most strings, you will start breaking them.
                    you mean like when they go putwannnnghhhhh and break right off my guitar?

Comment

if you putwannnnghhhh you get no poontang
                      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                        I was researching this last night and found that Steve Vai specified that JEMs have routing that allows them to be pulled up a 5th on the G string (up to D).
                        I highly doubt that is possible to do... ...well, without going "putwannnnghhhhh".

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                          Begs the question - "who invented the recessed Floyd route?"
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                            Begs the question - "who invented the recessed Floyd route?"
                            Irvin M. Putwanghhhhh

2nd Cousin of the nearly famous Fancy Chang.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                              I highly doubt that is possible to do... ...well, without going "putwannnnghhhhh".
                              If I SAY "putwannnnghhhhh" while I pull up on the tremolo, will that fool the strings into not breaking?

Maybe that's what Steve does. He's tricky!

Comment

Working...
                              X