DXMGT 2 Hum To 1 Hum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXMGT 2 Hum To 1 Hum?

So, I've had this DXMGT since 2005 and it feels amazing and sounds pretty good, but the electronics were fried, so I took it apart and I'm now considering filling the neck pick up cavity and making it a single humbucker, single volume model based on the fact that I love my COWs and I only want it for metal rhythm playing.

My question is, what filler should I use and how much will it change the sound of the wood? Keep in mind that I'll be putting an EMG 81 in the bridge and this will only be used for an extreme metal sound.

Thanks

With a pick-up like an Emg 81, i doubt you'll even notice it. It's not refined enough. Those pick-ups sound just as good/crappy (It's a love or hate thing) in anything from BC Rich Acrylics to an old cigar box. Anyways jokes aside, it shouldn't affect the tone. I am not sure what kinds of wood fillers are readily available, but i think anything goes as far as just filling a cavity.

Comment

Be aware that refinishing the guitar after the filling is done, is gonna cost a lot. Unless you do it yourself and just spray it matte black.

Comment

use a block of wood for most of the hole and use bondo for the rest. almost all wood fillers are going to shink or crack over time.

Comment

And when it shrinks you will see the outline of where it was filled in and it will look like a ghetto job.

I still want to see Mark's guitars that he did several years ago to see how his held up and if there are any outlines visible from where he filled in pickups before. I forget his ID here wasn't it mm72 or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
            And when it shrinks you will see the outline of where it was filled in and it will look like a ghetto job.

I still want to see Mark's guitars that he did several years ago to see how his held up and if there are any outlines visible from where he filled in pickups before. I forget his ID here wasn't it mm72 or something?
            mm2002.

I filled the singles in an Aria strat using the plastic pickup covers. This turned out to be a great idea, because plastic doesn't shrink. 20 years later, you can faintly see where the bondo shrunk, but if I were to sand an refinish, it would be perfect.

Put it this way, I can barely see the lines in my 2005 Bengal SL2H where the wings were attached to the body (from the wood shrinking at different rates). That's how these filled singles look.

Comment

Working...
            X