question about grover mini locking tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about grover mini locking tuners

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone here has picked up a set of grover mini locking tuners. I ordered a set through ebay, and when I got them, I realized they were for Gibson style head stocks (not in-line, like on Fender head stocks). So I sent them back and requested the in-line set. I finally got them today, and started to install, and do my disappointment, the screw hole (which has the screw that goes into the back of the head stock) does not line up with the current mini Grovers. It looks like I could drill a small hole which would line up with the mini-locking tuner holes, however, because the hole would be so close to the existing hole, I'm afraid if I drilled/screwed in the screw in a new hole, I could ultimately make the two small holes into one (if my drilling was even slightly off).

I guess my question is, 1) has anyone picked up a set of these and installed....and if so, did yours line up perfectly with the existing tuners (the hole that is). And 2) do you think it's safe to tap another small hole in the back of the headstock to accommodate for the locking tuners.

I'm getting really tired of sending these back...if the in-line set doesn't fit, are there different model sets?...particularly a set that would match up perfectly with the ones on the Charvels?

Any suggestions are really appreciated.
    Thanks

Todd
    Todd M

I've installed an off the rack set of Grover mini's as replacement for the black Grover minis which come on the ProMods. No problem.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I just don't have any luck with these things. There must be multiple part numbers...multiple variations of Grover in-line mini locking tuners/mini tuners
      I'm afraid to put additional holes in the back of my headstock...unless someone can convince me otherwise.
      Thanks.

Todd
      Todd M

Comment

Todd-

It might be possible that you bought lefty tuners for a reverse headstock- just a guess.

Comment

Any pic's???
          Charvel CST 060 1992
          Charvel CST 070 1992
          Charvel CDS 090 1993
          Gibson Les Paul Standard 1993
          Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
          Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
          Gibson Les Paul Classic 1999
          Duesenberg 49er 2012
          Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
          Duesenberg Starcaster 2006
          History TH-LS Limited 2009
          History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

I don't think it's any big deal to drill holes for tuners myself, but I was replacing the Grovers with Schallers (and Schaller-style Gotohs, like what come on Jacksons.)

There was plenty of wood between the two sets of holes.

Comment

Originally posted by THOMO View Post
              Any pic's???
              I'll post some pics tomorrow. I wish I would've taken some when I had the original tuner taken off...then you'd really see the difference in the position of the screw hole. The unfortunate part is that the difference is slight...and as I mentioned, putting another whole in there could result in a real problem...two holes close together turning into one. Then I'm SOL.

Also...nah..they're not lefty tuners. you can see that they were designed for a typical strat head stock. I, personally, think there are different part numbers here that I'm dealing with...and no online seller seems to know what part number, exactly, is on the Charvels. Personally, I don't think Charvel knows ..cause I can't find one anywhere.

Thanks again for the replies

Todd
              Todd M

Comment

Verniculum, do you know the model of the tuners that don't fit? I'll eventually make this swap and would like an exact replacement in chrome.

Comment

If the holes would be very close, glue a round toothpick in the the existing holes for 'support'.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                  X