Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Hot but articulate pickup.

Hey guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this (am I ever?), but I'd love some opinions on pickups. I'm going for a bridge humbucker to pair with a Duncan '59. What i'm looking for is something that's hot, but very articulate at the same time. I don't like actives. I tune as low as C Standard and so that very rarely. The guitar it will be going into (My stock SL2H) is alder, and very bright with the JB. My band plays progressive metal, with alot of intricate guitar parts but also meaty riffs (a bit like late Death). Guitar has light top heavy bottom strings if that matters.

I've got a few candidates:

DiMarzio Tone Zone, DiMarzio Super 3 (Never tried this), DiMarzio Steve's Special, Seymour Duncan Duncan Distortion, Seymour Duncan Custom (TB-5) and Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Trembucker Distortion (PATB-2)

Anyone have experience with any of these? Or any other pickups you think fit the bill?

I'm open to Bareknuckles, but they are expensive and have no item description of the website. (I'd like to keep it to SD/DiMarzio primarily)

Thanks,

Grim
    DiMarzio X2N
    23.53%
    DiMarzio Tone Zone
    17.65%
    Seymour Duncan Custom
    17.65%
    Seymour Duncan Duncan Distortion
    11.76%
    Seymour Duncan Paralell Axis Trembucker Distortion
    17.65%
    DiMarzio Super Distortion
    11.76%
    I like EL34s.

Duncan Custom = best pickup ever.

I have one in my SL1 and it sounds great, it's not as bright as the JB and the bottom end is tighter. I've loved guitars with the Tone Zone in them, but I haven't tried one in a Soloist, so I don't know.

Comment

Parallel Axis Trembucker Distortion (PATB-2) was my favorite before i started using bareknuckles[And I have one 4 sale in the classifieds lol!]
      I like the Nailbomb from Bareknuckles I have it in my Charvel 550xl and my Kelly, going to get one for my RR24
      I tune to D standard and play the same style as you, I tried the Tone Zone in my soloist and it was to fuzzy, That was for me anyway
      I had the PATB-2 in all the guitars I have until the BNs sold a few to Newc
      Last edited by metalone; 03-15-2010, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I am sure many will disagree with me, but IMO you cannot go wrong with the Duncan JB. most practical and useful rock pickup out there. as your title states, its hot and articulate.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I am a big fan of the JB and have they are probably represented the most in my guitars. I would however suggest you try a Duncan Distortion. Tighter on the bottom end, not as smooth as the JB on the high end but cuts through really well.

JB sounds more compressed (to my ears) and the DD more open.

If you don't have any JB equipped guitars however you might want to go in that direction. There's a reason so many of them have been made & come stock in so many axes.

IMO though the DD is more articulate. YMMV.

Comment

I've got a PATB-2 in my RR1T... it pairs nicely with the Jazz, so it'll work well with the '59, also. A DiMarzio X2N would also be a good choice, IMO.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
              I am sure many will disagree with me, but IMO you cannot go wrong with the Duncan JB. most practical and useful rock pickup out there. as your title states, its hot and articulate.
              I'm one of those that disagrees. I think the JB is a little overrated. It sounds best in warmer guitars that are made from mahogany. It has a high-mid spike and loose bass, but some people make it work. I think the active Live Wire Dave Mustaine version is better.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use Duncan Distortions in all my stuff until about a week ago. I got a Dimarzio X2N. It still has a lot of growl but much cleaner at lover volume and better mid's and hi's. So in the near future there will be a lot of Duncan Distortions going on the market! Remember that the X2n And Duncan Distortions are "HOT" pickups.
                2008 DXMG in Gray w/ Duncan Mayhem set
                2007 DK2m White Bengal
                88 Jackson limited edition
                Charvel Preditor
                PS-3T Rhoads Performer
                Jackson DX10D
                3 Randall RGT 100 ES tube heads
                4 JCM900 4x12 bottom cabs
                Rockman 1/2 rack Chorus/Delay
                Roland GP-8 Rack processor

Comment

I would have said JB.

DD is a little mushy to my ears. Definitely hot though.

What about the Full Shred? It's not the hottest output, but from all accounts it's very clear.

Doesn't Petrucci use a Tone Zone?
                  Scott

Comment

Duncan custom TB-5 is good pair for 59 in the neck. I also think that JB is not so great on alder bodied guitars.

Comment

Thanks guys! You've narrowed it down quite a bit

@Jazz, I love the ToneZone in my So-Cal, But I've tried it in other guitars and hated it.

@ ToneMonster, I'm aware it's hot and articulate. The problem is it's so damn bright!

Narrowed down to: Duncan Custom, Bareknuckle Nailbomb (Where do I buy this thing?), Duncan Distortion and the Parallel Axis Trembucker Distortion
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

I like the Duncan Custom but then I can't really do technical death metal so I don't know if it would be recommended for that style of music. When I want crazy gain I grab my Model 5 with the blackouts. I use the RR1T with the Custom/Jazz for my 80's metal or blues needs.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

You can buy the bareKnuckles direct, that way if you want a custom cover you can get that,I have the distressed camo on my Kelly
                          I'll put up a pic later

Comment

PAF Pro.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              I like the Duncan Custom but then I can't really do technical death metal so I don't know if it would be recommended for that style of music.
                              I don't think I would say I'm doing "technical death metal" but I will do fast, tight palm mutes and this is where I think the JB fails (although I love the tone for lots of other stuff) and the Custom rocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X