Gotoh Floyd vs. OFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotoh Floyd vs. OFR

What's the deal with Gotoh? Gary Kramer uses them, Suhr..
    Are they better? What's the difference?
    '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
    '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
    '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
    '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
    '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    '13 Gibson M-III
    Taylor 214CE
    Dean 6-string Bass
    Morgan Ukulele

Here's the famous post Suhr made before making the switch:

http://hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewto...317453#p317453

I think Gotohs are nice, but I personally haven't had a problem with any of my newer OFRs

Comment

I have them both..Gotohs feel a bit better to me but the OFR looks better IMO

Comment

I really like the Gotoh, but everyone wants the OFR. It's like a Harley Davidson, there are way better more reliable machines out there, but the majority of people NEED a Harley.
        Another reason Suhr may have switched to the Gotoh is delivery. Schaller still manufacturers the OFR and they are notorious for very late and inconsistent ship dates. They also seem to do their machining and plating in batches. So, if you want a black OFR and they are on their Gold batches, you are SOL! I can't imagine any company being happy about holding a guitar at the factory waiting for the OFR to show up.

Comment

The a string fine tuner on my Original floyd only has a couple of turns before it goes slack and looses grip, changed the fine tuner and it still did the same thing.. then the tuner plate underneath started to loose its spring so that made it worse... and this is on my beloved EVH Charvel... so now I`m thinking of replacing the whole bridge grrrr!!! and on top of that my so called custom pickup that is only available on the EVH died on me!... Replaced it with a Bare Knuckle VH2
          Not good for a $3000 Guitar

So last year I tried a Suhr Modern... and the Gotoh Floyd is awesome.. never hardly need to tune the guitar.. still shiney after a year of sweaty gigging... and that arm is super tight (no rattling at all)

I love Charvel and OFR but... Suhr and Gotoh wins the day

Pete.
          www.vendetta-theband.com
          Last edited by JediHalen; 03-12-2010, 07:49 AM.
          www.vendetta-theband.com
          www.atomhawk.com

Comment

Gotoh trems are really really nice.
            Saddles remind me of my Ibby Edge trems, which are also nice.
            Having one pivot edge be straight allows for the mounting studs/posts to be a little out without binding I notice.
            And... the price is right.
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Yeah...Gotoh is really nice. Just ordered one to replace the shite JT580 on my professional Reverse. $134 shipped...fugetaboutit...

Comment

How's the saddle material in Gotoh bridges?
                Compared to most of the stuff out there OFR had a lot harder metal but still I have to sand them because over some time the strings are creating rough edges which makes the strings break (11's in standard E, heavy attack and a lot of whammy wanking doesn't help either)
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I just got a suhr with a gotoh floyd and so far I am liking it a lot. Feels very smooth and I really dig the textured fine tuners. After having so many guitars with OFRs I was a bit skeptical, but I'd say that at least as of now, I might prefer the gotoh.
                  My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

the Gotoh is so solid feeling. nothing feels loose at all. and floydroseupdates.com is now making a big block to fit the Gotoh.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'm typically NOT a Floyd-using guy. I prefer a fixed or string thru bridge. BUT I have used both OFR and Gotoh Floyds... and to be completely honest I preferred the Gotoh. It seemed superior in many ways (as others have mentioned above; such as stability, durability, overall FEEL, etc). As a matter of fact I have considered putting one on my KV2.

Anyone know if the Gotoh will retrofit into the KV2 without modification? I've never tried to replace a Floyd with one, I've only had a guitar with the Gotoh preinstalled. But to my eye it looked as if the Gotoh had a different size base plate/fine tuners, etc. Anyone know if this will just drop right in? Just curious.
                      - Adam

Comment

Working...
                      X