Basswood vs Mahogany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basswood vs Mahogany

I have always loved the sound and warmth of mahogany but have never own a basswood body guitar...any thoughts here ?

Ibanez?

Comment

I dont like Ibazez...I like jacksons....any old Pros made with Basswood bodies ?

Comment

looking at old catalog scans....mid 90's Dinkies had basswood bodies

Comment

well you didn't really ask anything specific, i just though if you want to know what mahog sounds like to try an ibanez, if you don't like ibanez for the sound then you probably don't like basswood.

to me basically it sounds like crap unplugged, but does sound ok plugged in, so it's hard to tell just by strumming it in a shop, ultimately not entirely great tho.

Comment

lots of the old Model series Charvels were basswood
            Hail yesterday

Comment

I guess my general question was what is the preference of the masses who have played both...I have only owned a couple of mahogany bodied Jacksons

Comment

I don't think you'll find many with 'preference' of basswood over mahogany, at least here

Comment

Most people say basswood sounds like shit except for EVH, Steve Vai, and John Petrucci. basswood needs a brite pickup for my tastes.

Comment

Now thats the input I was looking for...thanks

Comment

I haven't played a mahogany bodied Jackson. Just threw the Model idea out there in case you could get your hands on one to see how you like it for yourself.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Have played a few Model 1's and model 2's... loved them....real shreaders....like the M2 better ...not a maple neck fan

Comment

Personally i love my basswood guitars. I had prejudice about them too before i owned some. I'd ask myself why it was that Jems could be fabricated out of mostly quality parts and still be bolt on and made of basswood. It was steves preference, and i understand why. It's not the best combo, but it's an option and i quite like the tone. It gives off nice blazing highs and mids. Crisp and clean at all levels and has clean bass. It's not too heavy, but it is nice and solid. I like them. I don't care much for mahogany. It's weird right ? I'd always wanted fine woods after even my earlier BCs which platinum pros came with agathis and that was a pretty crappy wood. It's flat and has little flavor in it's sound. Bland? Anyways i got my hands on a couple of mahogany bcs. Except for the neck thru models, i wasn't that happy. They felt too warm and wompy. same thing with schetcers. The only one i did like was my Les paul, but it was appropriate then and it sounded the way a les paul should. If not, i like alder a lot. My fenders have it, a couple of my jacksons did and if i should ever have a custom made it will have it's wings made from alder

Comment

I like them both but it depends on the application. I love my Wolfgang and my 275. BUt i also love my PRS LP and my 750XL. Basswood has been said to have similar tone to mahogany. But to my ears basswood sounds a bit more muffled and doesnt have the charactor of mah. but it is warm and soft sounding.
                            Gil
                            Last edited by JACKSONFREAK; 03-12-2010, 02:59 AM.

Comment

It does depend on the pick ups to me.I do love my mahogony fusion H-H its a wonderful sounding guitar.J-50 in the neck and J-90C in the bridge.Very smooth and not woofie at all.Alder and basswood rock just fine.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X