Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here make your own pickup(s) before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here make your own pickup(s) before?

TL;DR:
    Has anyone made their own pickups before? Also would I be able to take an existing low end pickup and modify it to change it's sound/output?

Pre-TL;DR:
    I was talking to a friend of mine, and we were talking about making or wiring our own pickups to try for his JS Warrior, mainly just for lols. We were planning on turning the bridge pickup around, (I heard it gives it a slightly different sound, still interesting to check out), but then the subject of making our own pickups came up.

I was wondering if anyone here has done it, or knows how and what supplies I would need. I have a couple of Ibanez Gio pickups laying around, might be able to get my hands on some low end stock ESP pickups, so I was thinking maybe I could do something with those, or even the Jackson pickups in the Warrior to change the sound, or completely make my own pickup.

Is any of my rambling making sense, or possible?

For parts, check out Stew Mac - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...ups:_Kits.html

For books, the Jason Lollar book "For the Guitar Enthusiast, Basic Pickup Winding & Complete Guide to Making Your Own Pickup Winder" is allegedly good, but hard to find, I found this one on Amazon, but don't know if it's worth reading - "Pickups, Windings and Magnets: ... And the Guitar Became Electric"

Hope that helps!
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Right on, thanks man!

Comment

Working...
      X