No announcement yet.

something interesting happened today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something interesting happened today...

so, i decided i wanted a hardtail but i cant afford one right now. i elected my ltd neck thru to make the sacrifice and have its FR blocked off. i know its not the same but at least i dont have to futz with tuning a bunch. anyways i decided i was gonna use a block of maple to lock out the FR.
    real simple simple stuff huh? i just set the bridge and then cut the block to fit. it came out great. solid as a rock w a super low action. here is my surprise to me...this thing has always had great sustain but now? wow!!! forever!!!! since the block makes contact with side of the bridge cavity and the trem block does it transmit vibration more efficiently thru the body and thusly create longer than normal sustain? anyone?

but you know, tho i dont dislike the FR, i dont need it. im not a big dive bomb fan. i do like it cuz it makes a great palm rest tho lol. i may just decide to block them all off...
    ...I will secretly play a Les Paul when nobody is looking...

WTB really badly...Dean Custom 450 w emg's...

DXMG
    SL3
    LTD M200fm

Thats funny you say that as I just did this last week on my Soloist, and the first thing I said when I plugged in the axe into my amp was, DAMN!! Where did that sustain come from!! I too love the feel of a floyd with my hand resting on it, and love the dead perfect stay in tune stability, and I never pull up on the bar, so I ended up doing this first with a Kramer, then last week with the Jackson. Also both with maple piece of wood. Best moves I ever did on both the axes! Enjoy your new found sustain!!

Comment

ya i am getting ready to put a emg81 in my soloist. then i am gonna put 11's on it and block the bridge....GRRRRRRRRR that thing is really gonna growl...! like with "hit a chord and go for coffee sustain"
      ...I will secretly play a Les Paul when nobody is looking...

WTB really badly...Dean Custom 450 w emg's...

DXMG
      SL3
      LTD M200fm

Comment

Glad you're happy! But its no secret. Wood has been used to block floyd's for ages. Good that you've tapped into a "secret".

I have a tremol-no installed in my DK2M. That device, though not as cheap as a piece of wood, does increase the sustain, can change the floyd into a dive-only, completely floating or completely hardtail. It came in handy when I was in a band and we played songs in different tunings.

cheers
        Sam

Comment

I like to use a piece of bone. Unfortunately, I think the cops are onto me, what with all of the hobos that have disappeared around my neighborhood...

Comment

I put an ESP arming in my RR24M and its pretty much a hardtail but I can still use the floyd to pull up or down and I can bend without the other strings losing pitch.

Comment

Working...
            X