dead frets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead frets

I have a 1989 Randy Rhoads "island of lost skulls" or whatever. bought it off a dude here.

Got it completely re-fretted soon after getting it. Guy did an amazing job. Walter @ Alpha Music in Virginia beach, little plug there for ya.

recently Ive noticed that frets 17 and 18 are dead as a door nail, but 19-20 and 15-16 are perfectly fine.

is there an easy remedy for this? possibly a quick brush with some steel wool?

The dead frets are due to their not being of uniform height. Either some frets are higher than others, or some are lower than others. They'll need to be blocked to get them in spec, which shoulda been done during the refret anyway.

I'd take the guitar back and have them look at it.

Comment

If frets 17 and 18 are dead uniformlyacross all strings, or at least across a couple, then likely the frets above them are high, frets 18 and 19. They may have become unseated and lifted up a bit. You could file em down, but getting them reseated is likely better...not sure how to do that though.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

The fret slots could also be loose. I'd take it back to whoever did the refret and have them make it right.

Steel wool isn't going to do shit but get steel wool all over everything and make your dead frets shiny.

Comment

Working...
        X