Neck relief with 9's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck relief with 9's

I have a soloist which I just went though a setup on... The neck relief is about .012" at the 8th, using 9 - 42's. It plays nicely but I am getting some slight choking/buzz on the wound strings on the upper frets (14+) when playing chords. Open strings do not buzz unless I pick them REALLY hard. Would tightening the rod a touch to get more like .009 - .010 relief help the choking? I'd rather not raise the action if I can help it, which is med/low, about 1.4mm at 12th fret.

Thanks.
    Last edited by potatohead; 03-04-2010, 04:54 PM.

honestly, that high up on the neck relief does'nt do much, in fact it would prolly make it worse asthe mid frets would then be lowern than the higher. raising the action a sliver would be best.
    relief affects more in the mid range of the neck most and near nothing past fourteen in ,y experience.

Comment

I thought perhaps if the relief was a little too much, it would pull the strings down a bit farther when fretted in the middle, and they'd buzz on the higher frets... No?

I don't want to raise the action really, I think I'd rather live with it. I do like the strings a little looser (9's in E standard, 10's in D standard for example) so perhaps I should keep touch more relief than usual.

Comment

Yes you should tighten the neck a little, and it would do what you want.

Comment

I'll tighten it just a touch, and see what that gets me.

Comment

Working...
          X