Converting DKMGT neck to FLoyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting DKMGT neck to FLoyd

Is there enough room on the DKMGT neck to rout out for the Floyd lock? I have a chance to pick one up cheap, but I am not sure if the first fret is a different size for the Floyd setup.

Thanks!
    Kelly Std
    DK2
    PS-4
    MexiStrat
    Custom Scorpion Esquire
    Ibanez Roadstar II - RS-430
    B-52 AT-212
    Peavey Bandit Solo 112
    Digitech RP2000
    Rockman Chorus/Delay
    MXR Noise Gate/Line Driver
    Sigma DM-4
    Ibanez GSR-200 Bass

Originally posted by JacksonFiend View Post
    Is there enough room on the DKMGT neck to rout out for the Floyd lock? I have a chance to pick one up cheap, but I am not sure if the first fret is a different size for the Floyd setup.

Thanks!
    The thing about this place, is that someone will say that it is, but it will be hard to mod, but it's possible. Someone else will offer a substitute, and others say it's not worth it, because it may be too expensive. You learn the ins and outs of this place after a while. I don't much about that model, so I don't know the answer, but I can bet people will say everything I just did.
    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

Hopefully someone has tried it or one similar. I guess its a standard type question: is there enough room on the first fret of any non floyd neck to rout out the lock?
      Kelly Std
      DK2
      PS-4
      MexiStrat
      Custom Scorpion Esquire
      B-52 AT-212
      Peavey Bandit Solo 112
      Digitech RP2000
      Rockman Chorus/Delay
      Sigma DM-4
      Ibanez GSR-200 Bass

Comment

Yeah, that may have come out bad. I wasnt trying to be a jackass, I just meant tech threads follow a "template" pretty well. Or they get no responses OR they tell you to use the search function because they get tired of answering the same questions over and over!
        I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

No Problem, no offense taken. I have lurked here for a while and searched for answers, but could not find one about routing a non-floyd neck. Lots of 22 to 24 fret neck replacements, etc., but that's about it.

Thanks for your comments.
          Kelly Std
          DK2
          PS-4
          MexiStrat
          Custom Scorpion Esquire
          B-52 AT-212
          Peavey Bandit Solo 112
          Digitech RP2000
          Rockman Chorus/Delay
          Sigma DM-4
          Ibanez GSR-200 Bass

Comment

Probably and I'm pretty sure that a nut shelf will have to be made where the nut currently is located. I'd have a luthier do the work.

Comment

Here we go...
              I'd leave it alone and trade for a floyd axe.
              I'm one of the few that actually appreciates the way
              the DKMGT is made.

...And I have plenty of natural born floyd shredders.

Comment

I love the DKMG as well. Why would you put a floyd nut on a string through guitar?? If its because you want to put a floyd bridge on too, you may want to consider just buying a floyded guitar. The DKMGT neck is set back at an angle specificly for the tuneomatic string through design. So really the nut is the least of your worries. Aside from the neck being at an angle which would mean your floyd would have to sit up super high, just trying to route the archtop body for it would be veeeeeery difficult.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Give me the DKMGT neck. Problem solved.
                  |My CSG gallery|
                  (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                    Give me the DKMGT neck. Problem solved.
                    No, the neck pocket is routed at an angle. And the DKMGT neck was the issue. If it were the neck that was cut at an angle, youd then want the DKMG neck Not the one thats the issue.
                    Last edited by Twitch; 03-05-2010, 02:34 PM.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't have the whole guitar. I have an opportunity to get the neck for $30.
                      I do projects here and there and have always liked the pirahnna tooth neck. I figured I could put on a the body of another 24 fret (my preference) axe. I also happen to prefer the Floyd setup, so I thought I would eventually rout for the lock. I suppose I could just use locking tuners instead of f'kin with it.
                      Kelly Std
                      DK2
                      PS-4
                      MexiStrat
                      Custom Scorpion Esquire
                      B-52 AT-212
                      Peavey Bandit Solo 112
                      Digitech RP2000
                      Rockman Chorus/Delay
                      Sigma DM-4
                      Ibanez GSR-200 Bass

Comment

Hell, I'd buy it and flip it on ebay for $100+, assuming I didn't want one.

The giving it to me option is still open tho.
                        |My CSG gallery|
                        (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

any thoughts of using a kahler behind the nut lock?

Comment

Why bother with a behind-the-nut lock? May as well go with locking tuners since you're going to use the original nut anyway?

I'd say if you're getting the neck that cheap, have the Floyd nut mounted, it'd probably cost the same as what the neck usually sells for on Ebay (assuming you already have the nut and the cost of that is not part of thr equation).
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                            X