Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan designed HB103 vs Dimarzio Evo in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan designed HB103 vs Dimarzio Evo in the neck?

I just got myself a Jackson Dx10d, it has a hb103n in the neck position, but i don't like the tone, a little rasspy and unclear.

I was thinking of adding a Dimarzio Evo to replace it? But wondering if any of you would have any insight as to what I should expect from the Dimarzio Evo? or maybe a Duncan jazz...

thxs for the help

I'd try out some guitars with those pickups installed before going out to buy anything else. Buying pickups sight unseen can be a recipe for disappointment if you're not careful.

That being said, the Duncan Jazz neck pickup is known for being pretty good, as well the DiMarzio PAF Pro. I've had some pretty good luck using Lace Alumitone humbuckers too- they have a really clear, dark sound (kinda like an SRV tone, if that's what you want) with lots of frequency response.

Comment

I have a Duncan Jazz--good pup--but it's a little too smooth for rock. A '59 might be better but that all depends on what you like.

Comment

yeah, a few of my buddys have the Evo in their Jems. And it sounds great. But just not sure it would work in my Jackson.

Just need more clarity...

anyone here using a Dimarzio Evo in the neck?

Comment

dunno about the evo neck, but i like the bridge,

for a neck pickup i really like the air norton

Comment

I don't know about Duncans, but with Dimarzio, if you don't like it, you can excahnge it for another model with no problem.
            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Ok, got myself a Evo, and it's ok, but need a little more fatness in the bass, I expected a little more but not sure if its cause of my Dx10d.

having a Alder body and Maple top. I also added 250k vol pot, and got a little more improvments.

Will try to get either a Breed or Air Zone instead.

Comment

I would have thought a 500k pot would work better with your 'buckers
                Hail yesterday

Comment

I could be wrong but I thought the current ones are basswood and the older ones were indian cedro. maybe alder in between those I don't know. The maple top is so thin it makes no difference to the sound.
                  the evo neck only sounded good to me in the charvel socals. I pulled it out of my new jackson that is basswood, sounded like complete shit.
                  Another vote for the air norton, great cleans and full of bottom end.
                  And get that 250K pot out of there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you have a JB don't use it with humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    I could be wrong but I thought the current ones are basswood and the older ones were indian cedro. maybe alder in between those I don't know. The maple top is so thin it makes no difference to the sound.
                    the evo neck only sounded good to me in the charvel socals. I pulled it out of my new jackson that is basswood, sounded like complete shit.
                    Another vote for the air norton, great cleans and full of bottom end.
                    And get that 250K pot out of there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you have a JB don't use it with humbuckers.
                    Hi Rich, thxs for the reply,

i wanted to post a pic of what my guitar looks like:
                    http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...natural&page=2

I hope it's ok to the original owner of that pic that i post it here and that i use it as my avatar.

With the back covers off, the wood is really light in color, although I do not know what Alder and Basswood looks like, it's suppose to be alder but the guitar is really heavy, i thought that it looked like maple. i will check out the air norton...

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                      I have a Duncan Jazz--good pup--but it's a little too smooth for rock. A '59 might be better but that all depends on what you like.
                      hey Trussrod,

thxs for the info, I allready have a high gain amp, so i was thinking about the 59's as one of my choices, how would the 59' be for sweep picking and fast runs?

My Neck pick-up choices were:

1) 59"
                      2) Dimarzio Breed
                      3) Sd Jazz

I want that fat, but clear tone... just not sure which one to consider...
                      let me know what you think?

Comment

I had the dimarzio Bridge pup at one point and it was definately FAT!

I to am having a "Which neck pup do I want" crisis

I don't want to hijack your thread, but not to many people are answereing mine

I was thinking about the Dimarzio EJ, Breed, and Liquifire for the neck. For some reason I just never liked any Duncan in my Jackson. I tried a ton too including the Jazz in the neck .
                        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Working...
                        X