Kahler or Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler or Floyd?

What are the pros and cons between the two and which is better overall in your opinion?

lol, here we go again...

Comment

I'm guessing this gets asked a lot

Comment

OK, I'll start...

<clears throat, adopts haughty, knowing tone>

The Floyd is superior in every way. Anyone who thinks otherwise is some sort of drooling mongoloid. In fact, the very fact that you asked this question probably indicates that you are retarded. Anyone with half a brain can plainly see that the Floyd Rose is superior and would not need to ask such a ridiculous question.

How am I doin' guys?

Ah, seriously. It's a preference. They are both worthy units.

I definitely prefer the Floyd. I did have a Kahler some years back and I found it to be really great for subtle vibrato, and if you like Kahlers, then, you like Kahlers. But, I definitely prefer the Floyd myself.

I doubt I would buy a guitar with a Kahler on it, but I'm sure the guys who like Kahlers would say, "Well, more for me then."

Comment

I've commented on my dislike of Kahler trems before. The cam version has flaws and doesn't go back to pitch--Gary Kahler even admitted this. They ruin the tone, too. On an OFR--or even a knock-off FR--you can change the block and add a larger brass block if you like or even a titanium block. Can't do this on a Kahler. The list goes on and on... After decades of experience with both I would avoid Kahler (and have no use for a guitar with a Kahler even if it's free) and stick with FR.

Comment

Thanks guys. I can't recall using a Kahler, maybe I have once or twice, but I have definately used Floyds so I was just curious of others' opinions on the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
              (and have no use for a guitar with a Kahler even if it's free)
              Route that sonofabitch out for a good tremolo...

Comment

If I was given certainty that Kahler doesn't drop of the face of the earth again, I would have no objection
                getting a guitar equipped with one
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

In general, I prefer the OFR as well, however, Im a big fan of the Kahler Spyder. Any other Kahler can take a hike though.
                  HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

never had a problem with either
                    hell
                    I even like the JT-6
                    Now THAT is blasphemy!
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                      In general, I prefer the OFR as well, however, Im a big fan of the Kahler Spyder. Any other Kahler can take a hike though.
                      I've had both and the Spyder is good. Be nice if Kahler or someone else offered upgraded blocks for it. Wouldn't you know Kahler discontinued the fulcrum models and only makes the cam versions. IIRC he had to get permission from FR to manufacture the Spyder and Steeler models. The only good thing about the cam version was the soft feel of the springs but you can get the same feel with an FR by using low tension springs.

If anyone wants to give me a guitar with a Kahler I will be more than happy to convert the route to an FR.

Comment

I honestly do not understand why people even ask this question.

The reason I say that is because all one has to do is look at which style of trem is on almost every single guitar. Hint - it's not Kahler.

Kahler had their chance to be #1, they didn't get there and have since faded away into obscurity.

Comment

The Kahler 2300 is a great trem. I've used them for years and love them (though I don't have one now). Properly tuned up and kept clean, they solidly return to pitch - I don't know what that one guy above is talking about. They're solid. And they sound good. They're also pretty has hell:

That said, if there was a whammy evolutionary chart, the Kahler evolved from the Bigsby whereas the Floyd evolved from the Stratocaster trem. Because of this, they feel and perform complete differently.

Like neck-through vs. bolt-on, active vs passive, pickup rings vs direct mount, 9's vs. 10's, tubes vs modelling, MIK vs MIG - it all comes down to what you as a player prefer.

There's no measurement for tone, feel, vibe, mojo, lust or love. You can't lose tone and you can't add tone. Go with what works for you.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                            The Kahler 2300 is a great trem. I've used them for years and love them (though I don't have one now). Properly tuned up and kept clean, they solidly return to pitch - I don't know what that one guy above is talking about. They're solid. And they sound good. They're also pretty has hell:
                            This. I greatly prefer the feel of Floyds and all of my guitars have them, now. However, I've had some guitars with Kahlers in the past. They were heavily gigged. (In fact, more heavily gigged than my Floyd guitars since I was young then and am old now! ) They hold tune just fine, when properly set up. They don't do anything strange to tone, though they definitely do something to tone, just a Floyd does compared to a hardtail or even vintage trem. There were 3 different Kahler trems back in the day. You wanted the top-end one (Pro, I believe) and you're good to go.

Like neck-through vs. bolt-on, active vs passive, pickup rings vs direct mount, 9's vs. 10's, tubes vs modelling, MIK vs MIG - it all comes down to what you as a player prefer.
                            Agreed again. They feel too different for me to want both, so I stick with the Floyds, but the performance is pretty much on par between the two. For the record, Floyd is still around and Kahler gone due to business practices, not due to any difference in quality. This is true of many of our iconic guitars, amps, pedals, etc. Success means good business decisions and means almost nothing about the performance of the product.

Comment

Originally posted by rstites View Post
                              For the record, Floyd is still around and Kahler gone due to business practices, not due to any difference in quality. This is true of many of our iconic guitars, amps, pedals, etc. Success means good business decisions and means almost nothing about the performance of the product.

Kahler is not gone! In fact, new for 2010, is an updated website and news: http://www.kahlerusa.com/Scripts/default.asp
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X