Issue with pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with pedals

When I run my phase 90 after my tubescreamer, it sound HORRIBLE, when I run it in front of it it sounds great, but it gives off a VERY LOUD pop when turned on and off. It only happens when it is put befor the tube screamer though. What could be causing this?

I have a had some issues with this phase 90, it also sounds horrible , and I mean unusable kind of horrible when in the loop, and I tried it in a loop on a different amp and it did the same thing.

But it sounds great through the front of the amp, but has the issue with the popping infront of the ts-9

Actaully the sound is exactly the same kind of horrible noise when run in the loop or after the ts-9, so I guess it wasn't made to go in the loop, but what do I do about the loud popping of the switch?

It's an EVH phase 90 if it matters.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Didn't Ed run his original phase90 in through the front?

As for the popping, I'd say that was bad.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc,

Yea he did, but when I had the regualar orange phase 90 it sounded great in the loop, and and ok in the front.

The minute I swithced the order back to the tube screamer first, the popping was gone

Comment

First, I find Phase 90s sounds best at lower input levels. So in front of anything that will boost your guitar level. I don't know what it is, but Phase 90s just distort badly if driven hard.

Second, the popping can be caused by multiple things. It could be a poor switch in the Phaser. It could be that you got the Tube Scream gain way high boosting the click of the switch. It could be a poor input buffer circuit on the tube screamer that is matched better when the Phase 90 is engaged. Also, if you've only used Boss or Ibanez pedals, those use buffer switching which is silient. MXR uses a mechanical switch which will make a sound when switched.

One thing is to try is put a bufferring pedal before the phase 90. A tuner without true bypass would be good, or any Boss pedal with the effect switched off.

Comment

I have a BAd Horsie in front of all my pedals, I think it has some type of buffer in it, but it has been so long that I can't remember.

Other than my tube screamer, all my pedals are MXR with that mechanical type switch on them.

On a side note, I have all these pedals set up in a tru bypass loop with a tuner out. All the sudden today, when I engage the loop, or hit the button to tune, I get a SLIGHT pop, or click, it is nowhere near as loud as the phase 90, but it is annoying , especially when the delay is on as the click repeats.

At first the only pop(other than the phaser when I switched it's order) I got out of the loop, was when I first powered my board up and hit the loop for the first time, it would click, then it didn't do it at all until today. IS there some kind of a charge that builds up in these things?

Comment

Working...
          X