Tube quest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube quest?

Is it possible to run a pair of mesa boogie matched set in the inner and a pair of ruby tube matched set 6l6s on the outer banks without doing any damage. I'm setting the bias on my amp. I have a selector switch for el34 to 6l6. thinking about using 6l6s? Also I have a 50 watt or 100 watt selector switch. When in 50 watts it uses the inner tubes. I don't know if all the tubes have to be the same. Any suggestions?

It will probably work, but you will get the best sound and best tube life by using a matched quad. And definitely don't mix EL34 and 6L6 tubes.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      It will probably work, but you will get the best sound and best tube life by using a matched quad. And definitely don't mix EL34 and 6L6 tubes.
      Well I going to try it just to see if I like the 6l6 sound before I bought a quad set. I just didn't want to harm my amp while trying it.

Comment

Okay, then I'd physically remove the EL34 tubes and install the 6L6 pair in the sockets that are used in 50W mode. You should be fine doing it that way.

Also, I'd save some money and use a website such as www.tubedepot.com to get your tubes instead of paying for rebranded tubes such as Ruby or Mesa.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          Okay, then I'd physically remove the EL34 tubes and install the 6L6 pair in the sockets that are used in 50W mode. You should be fine doing it that way.

Also, I'd save some money and use a website such as www.tubedepot.com to get your tubes instead of paying for rebranded tubes such as Ruby or Mesa.
          I ran it in 50 watt mode. Liked the sound, I'm gonna either try tube depot or eurotube. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Try the S.E.D. "winged C" power tubes.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by rattlehead74 View Post
              Any suggestions?
              Try reading the amp owners manual?

It sounds like you amp was designed to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Try reading the amp owners manual?

It sounds like you amp was designed to do this.
                I know the amp runs on 2 inner tubes or all 4 at 100 watts. The question was if it was ok to run 2 different pairs of matching tubes all at the same time. Being that I didn't know if it was safe I just ran it in 50 watts. The owners manual doesn't answer that question. Thanks
                Last edited by rattlehead74; 02-24-2010, 09:54 PM.

Comment

It should be ok to run 2 different pairs of matching tubes at one time, but call Doug's Tubes tomorrow and ask him. He is a tube dealer and is very knowledgeable. He can probably recommend the best tubes for your amp and what you are trying to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
                    It should be ok to run 2 different pairs of matching tubes at one time, but call Doug's Tubes tomorrow and ask him. He is a tube dealer and is very knowledgeable. He can probably recommend the best tubes for your amp and what you are trying to achieve.
                    Thanks Dannyr, I already put the el34s back in and bias. Gonna do some research and call Doug's tubes to see was flavor 6l6s I want to go with.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      Try the S.E.D. "winged C" power tubes.
                      +1

The SED have by far been the best EL34s I've tried...with Tung-Sol preamp tubes. Haven't done too much testing with 6L6s yet, but every Ruby I've ever experienced sounds like ass.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                        +1

The SED have by far been the best EL34s I've tried...with Tung-Sol preamp tubes. Haven't done too much testing with 6L6s yet, but every Ruby I've ever experienced sounds like ass.
                        That's the combo I use in my VHT, and yeah. Best tubes I've used, by far - tons of gain, low noise, ridiculous dynamic range.. love em. The SEDs are a bit pricey, but oh so worth it!
                        KV Pro, SL2H, KE2, DK2M, Model 7 Tele, 6505+, Metal

Comment

For EL34's I prefer Electro Harmonics. And for 6L6's I would recommend SED Winged C

Comment

Working...
                          X