Has anyone used Live Wire pup's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used Live Wire pup's?

Has anyone used live wire pups? Thinking about replacing my emgs in my soloist. Anyone have any input on sound?

There are good for one thing. Killer distortion, brutal. Cleans are not possible. period. use something else for the neck if you go with them. I would check out the blackouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      There are good for one thing. Killer distortion, brutal. Cleans are not possible. period. use something else for the neck if you go with them. I would check out the blackouts.
      Is it a clear sounding distortion or does it get muddy? I don't like a lot of presence in my sound, little dark but with a tight distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by rattlehead74 View Post
        Is it a clear sounding distortion or does it get muddy? I don't like a lot of presence in my sound, little dark but with a tight distortion.
        I can't speak for the LiveWires, but since it's the same brand, the blackouts are the opposite of what you are after. Blackouts are not clear and very "dirty" sounding since they have more gain.

EMG's sound almost perfect for what you are asking for. Once of the clearest, crunchiest pickups out there.
        Jackson USA guitars
        BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
        Diezel VH4
        Framus Cobra
        VHT UL
        Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
        Mesa MK3
        Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

You referring to the Livewire Metal or the Classics ? The Livewire Metal is the most balls-to-the-walls pickup you'll ever use, they tamed it down for the Blackouts Metal version a bit. Anyway it has tons of bass and ridiculous midrange, it's definitely not as defined as the other pickups but still tight like an active but it has some ridiculous roar and grind that no other pickup gives you. The classics well are just...medium-low output pickups I wouldn't really recommend unless you play jazz or something.

Also what the hell does balls-to-the-walls mean anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by D-EJ915 View Post
            You referring to the Livewire Metal or the Classics ? The Livewire Metal is the most balls-to-the-walls pickup you'll ever use, they tamed it down for the Blackouts Metal version a bit. Anyway it has tons of bass and ridiculous midrange, it's definitely not as defined as the other pickups but still tight like an active but it has some ridiculous roar and grind that no other pickup gives you. The classics well are just...medium-low output pickups I wouldn't really recommend unless you play jazz or something.

Also what the hell does balls-to-the-walls mean anyway.
            Don't know but it sounds like it would hurt:think: I was asking about the Dave Mustaine series. I have emgs in everything, I'm just looking for a different sound. I don't scoop mids, I play metal and some rock [slayer to shinedown] but It seems like I'm backing of the gain for a nice tight sound but don't mind having more on tap. Also like more bass. I think I'm going to give them a shot, sounds like what I'm looking for without going back to passive.

Comment

From what I've heard the Mustaine are like a bit hotter and tighter sounding set of what he usually uses (I think it is Jazz neck and JB bridge ?) so they should be pretty good if you like that combo

Comment

Originally posted by D-EJ915 View Post
                From what I've heard the Mustaine are like a bit hotter and tighter sounding set of what he usually uses (I think it is Jazz neck and JB bridge ?) so they should be pretty good if you like that combo
                Yeah I bought them today but now I'm thinking of putting in my epi les paul custom.

Comment

They have a ton more mid range than EMG 81 & no lows. We sell both at the shop & normally I am a Duncan guy, but the Live Wires don't sound as good to me. Go to a local Schecter dealer & try out a Schecter with EMG's & then try out one with Live Wires....you see what I mean.

Originally posted by rattlehead74 View Post
                  Has anyone used live wire pups? Thinking about replacing my emgs in my soloist. Anyone have any input on sound?

Comment

The live wire classic is the only one of the bunch that sounds good to me.
                    I don't run the amp gain wide open anyway.
                    Massive gain doesn't equal impressive tone to me.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Got my Livewires put in my epi. Plenty of lows and mids. More gain than emg's and not as sterile sounding to me.I A & B them with my Jackson. Here is some pics of the epi & some pics of my Jackson that I'm gonna buy another set for. http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/a...00227-1103.jpg .... http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/a...00227-1104.jpg ... http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/a...00226-1551.jpg ... http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/a...00226-1551.jpg ... http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/a...00226-1551.jpg

Comment

I have used the metal lw's for 20 years...i love em...they really work well in basswood....
                        H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mr426 View Post
                          I have used the metal lw's for 20 years...i love em...they really work well in basswood....
                          I"m really digging them too. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X