Setups and Action......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setups and Action......

What determines how high the strings should be from the fingerboard at the nut? Onmy Vivan Campbell rep. the strings are real close to the fretboard at the nut, but the action is way higer at the other end, but my DKMG is the opposite, the strings are pretty high at the nut, but the action is super low at the higher frets.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Well, several factors dictate how high the strings "should" be at the nut, including personal preference.

However, at no time should it be so high that fretting at the first fret raises the pitch above the intended note. I mean, if you're getting a perfect open-string A=440 and then getting the A#/Bb + 5 semitones at the first fret, something's wrong.

Typically you would find that the strings are closer to the board at the nut and higher at the heel. As to whether this is a problem is up to the individual - do you find fretting at the higher frets difficult? Some do, some don't.

You can adjust the bridge height to bring the strings lower, but be aware that they will be closer to the first half of the neck as well, which may result in fret buzz or fretting out.

If it's a bolt-on neck, you can shim the heel to increase the angle so the back half of the neck is closer to the strings, but again, you're going to decrease the distance between the first fret and the strings, which may again result in buzzing and/or fretting out.

Your DKMG sounds like it might either have a bowed neck or maybe there's a shim under the front part of the heel.

Again, only you can say if it's a problem. Higher action at the nut would make for buzz free chording, and lower action at the end will make for easier soloing.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc!

I don't really think it is a problem, It is just so differnt for me jumping from one guitar to the other. I saw that the strings were physically a lot higher on the DK and just wondered.

The one guitar is a 22 fret and the DK obviously has 24 and it really did take some getting used to , it seemed like everything is stretched oout on the DK

It's been years since I had my soloist, so I had forgotten jsut what it was like to play a Jackson, LOL

The one guitar has a lot narrower string spacing also, it is great for certain things and hard on me for others .
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

It is common for new guitars to have high action at the nut. They don't want nubs complaining about string buzz. Also if the frets have been surfaced it could cause high action at the nut. If you have a Floyd locking nut You can file the bottom of the nut to get the string height down.

String height of .021 at the first fret is good. Much higher or lower will cause problems.
        You should be able to get action down to 1/16 at the 15th fret with a good straight neck with a good fret dress. I like 3/32 but that's my preference. I tend to play a little heavy handed with a lot of attack.
        .009 thru .011 Relief at the 7th fret is good for me with 10s.
        Models
        The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
        I dont need furniture.
        If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
        If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
        And rock that sucker.

Comment

Working...
        X