Floyd Rose installation; marking up correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose installation; marking up correctly

I'm going to drill post holes in a 2005 SD reissue that was supplied with a brass, Fender type, fulcrum (vintage) trem. At this time, it has a V Trem installed that works really well. It's a retro fit locking trem for Fender type bridges that doesn't require a set of chisels to install it.

So if it works so well, why change? It's ugly and it's chrome and it's not a Floyd...

So, what's the best way to mark out the position of the post inserts? Any tips? Appreciate any help, it's going to happen this weekend whether I know what I'm doing or not...

The guitar is a two hum SD reissue pointy.

The instructions from Stewmac are for their plexiglass templates, but they give you a good idea of what to do if you are working from a printout as well. Here is the one for non-recessed:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Rout...es/i-1118.html

The posts go 25" from the nut, and the critical thing is to have a very accurate center line to work from. Also, imo you should only ever do this with a drill press. Leaning posts suck, and they give you the same result as screwing up the alignment of the holes: a crooked trem.
    Last edited by dg; 02-15-2010, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X