Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel 475 or similar wiring (what are the extra wires?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel 475 or similar wiring (what are the extra wires?)

I just rewired a Charvel 475 (JE1200, 5-position switch, 1 vol, 2 tone, 2 sc, 1 hb), but didn't pay sufficient attention to where all the wires were originally connected (I have a schematic, so I got careless).

Anyway, there are three black wires that enter the electronics cavity through the same hole that the pickup wires come through. They aren't in the schematic, so I assumed they were ground wires and soldered them together with the other grounds. Now the five-way switch only works in the humbucker and next position. No sound with the other three posistions. Are the three black wires something other than ground? Or, maybe I screwed something else up.
    Last edited by joe6pack; 02-13-2010, 03:47 AM.

Just like you assumed, the three black wires are ground wires that connect to the conductive paint in the pup routes. There is something else that is off.

Comment

The black wire from the J50 goes to the end prong on the switch, the green & bare to ground, & the red & white taped together.

The clear on the J200S goes to the switch & shield to ground. Mid to 2nd prong, & neck to 3rd prong on switch.

Wire the 4th prong on the switch to the center lug on middle pot.

There should be one black ground wire screwed to shield paint in each pup rout & all 3 soldered to same lug screwed to body at shield paint in electronics rout witch is soldered to base of middle pot.

Here is a pic of the ground harness from my Model 4 and a pic inside of my 650.

Models
      The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
      I dont need furniture.
      If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
      If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
      And rock that sucker.

Comment

Thank you both. I had wired the 5-position switch incorrectly--middle lug on the pot was going to the outside terminal on the switch instead of the inside terminal. The photo of the 650 made my mistake obvious. All fixed now. Next time I'll snap some pics before plunging ahead.

Comment

Please help wiring of last pot under battery

could u please tell me how the last pot is wired - mine is yellow then white in middle and blue on other side - difficult to see from your last picture but it looks like you have white outside, yellow in middle and then blue?

greg

Originally posted by Tricky View Post
          The black wire from the J50 goes to the end prong on the switch, the green & bare to ground, & the red & white taped together.

The clear on the J200S goes to the switch & shield to ground. Mid to 2nd prong, & neck to 3rd prong on switch.

Wire the 4th prong on the switch to the center lug on middle pot.

There should be one black ground wire screwed to shield paint in each pup rout & all 3 soldered to same lug screwed to body at shield paint in electronics rout witch is soldered to base of middle pot.

Here is a pic of the ground harness from my Model 4 and a pic inside of my 650.

Comment

the wire on the middle post of the pot should go to the tip of the guitar cable on the output jack. the 2 wires from the mid boost can be on either side, if you invert them it will just reverse the on off direction of the knob.

Comment

Working...
            X