How to make a relic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a relic?

If you guys know of a existing thread of how to make a aged,beat up,(nitro aged) looking guitar or any ideas of your own that would be cool.ilooking to buy a model series charvel and tastfully give it some mojo
    2009 black sl1 usa
    fire crackle 3dr dead mint(flawless!!)
    Burgundy mist model 3
    black model 1 emg
    black model 3 h/s/s
    2005 pointy charvel
    2009 black rr1

Buy a guitar and play the living shit out of it for 30 years.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Yea that would do it but I woul like one now I could find a banged up used one and do the finishing touches. but the tip of the headstock would still have to be mint if that makes any sences.
      2009 black sl1 usa
      Burgundy mist model 3
      black model 1 emg
      black model 3 h/s/s
      2005 pointy charvel
      2009 black rr1

Comment

I was thinking that If you took a guitar body and put it through consecutive heating and cooling cycles you could maybe get the finish to crack. I have a Lado from the early 90's that mush have been stored in a garage (Northern Canada). It has a pretty cool shattered look to the black finish. They are micro cracks, but they are extensive. The neck is dead straight still (neck-through), so the wood isn't damaged.

At work I have an environmental test chamber that is capable of doing these cycles and controlling the humidity at the same time. If I have some suitable test samples I'd like to give it a try sometime.

This Lado guitar has a real relic VOS look to it. Lots of age is apparent, but not playing wear and tear. Frets are perfect, plays like a dream. Uber cool.

Just a thought...

Comment

Just don't over do it...they look cheesy overly done...

Comment

Here's some natural relic'ing

Oh, and if anyone knows where this guitar is, I'd like it back please.

Comment

People buying an old and used guitar I understand
              People buying a New guitar that looks old and used I don't understand
              People buying a New guitar then making it look like it's old and used,... You totally lost me

I'm with AlexL on this one
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Making a new guitar look old and used is a really difficult process that requires a lot of time and expertise.

First, you need to play the guitar frequently.

Second, expose the guitar to a lot of different environments, some of them harsh.

Continue doing these two steps for weeks, months, years, and pretty soon, you'll have a beat-up old guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                  People buying an old and used guitar I understand
                  People buying a New guitar that looks old and used I don't understand
                  People buying a New guitar then making it look like it's old and used,... You totally lost me

I'm with AlexL on this one
                  The issue is that with modern construction techniques, new guitars will never naturally age like old guitars.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah, you are not going to get weather checking in poly. It's not gonna happen. And it takes a hell of a ding to chip that stuff, especially the thick poly like what is on most production guitars like the Pro Mods or an old Model series, the finish on my Fusion HH is about 1/8" thick.

Although that has nothing to do with poly... the finish is amazingly thin on my Warmoth single-hum and I've already chipped it down to the wood just like lacquer would. Still not gonna weather-check though.

Comment

Just pull of the neck and pups and trems. Scratch them with steel wool and rust the pups, and pull the body atattched to a steel chain with your truck down a gravel road!
                      I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Kick the body around the yard for a day or two.

Otherwise, I agree with the anti-relic comments. Nothing says "Poser" like a beat to shit guitar that you didn't earn.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                          Although that has nothing to do with poly... the finish is amazingly thin on my Warmoth single-hum and I've already chipped it down to the wood just like lacquer would. Still not gonna weather-check though.
                          Yeah - its really thin on Warmoth bodies - but did you notice the clear under the color?
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah, that's grain filler/sealer.

I'm not very careful with that guitar ( ) in general and I expected what I did (dropped a pair of diagonal cutters on it from about 3" maybe?) to leave a ding but I about crapped when it chipped a half-a-pea sized chunk of finish off of it. Of course I just got done polishing a scratch out from when I was putting the pickup back in and scraped one of the height adjustment screws on the finish when I did it, so...

I have seen some professional "relic" guitars that I kind of like (the Charvel "tourmented" and "nitro aged" guitars) because they look "realistic" and they are also "old" style guitars, but nothing is worse than the cheesy fake-looking relics. A 1-year-old Squire Strat that looks like you smeared ground chuck on it and gave it to your Pitt Bull isn't a "cool relic guitar."

I'll put it this way; if you don't know what you are doing and you try to make your guitar look old, it will certainly look like a guitar someone tried to make look old.

Comment

Yea I am not tryin to over do it I would like some cracks in the paint like old fender strats just mild things like that.the giutar I do play the shit out of is my wolfgang archtop stoptail. I all the time play it with dirty hands. Been my main guitar for like 4 years now I baby my import charvel than that guitar it's starting to get were. But I want a charvel that has some mojo.
                              2009 black sl1 usa
                              Burgundy mist model 3
                              black model 1 emg
                              black model 3 h/s/s
                              2005 pointy charvel
                              2009 black rr1

Comment

Working...
                              X