Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My bridge hum is sounding like a single coil?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My bridge hum is sounding like a single coil?!?!

So I pulled out my RG550 (I haven't played it in a few weeks) and the bridge humbucker has very weak output out of it. It was not sounding like this last time I played it. As I go through the 5-way switch I am getting distortion out of all the other combinations but the bridge has very little. The guitar is completely stock. Is it a loose wire or is the humbucker dying????
    "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

check it with a multimeter, but if all of the wiring is still sound, it sounds like you have a dead coil.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It sounds like the output is going in and out slightly from various levels of distortion, but nothing up to par of what it was. The longer I have it plugged in its actually getting worse! I guess maybe its new pickguard/pickup time if its dying. I really loved the sound from this too!
      "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

check your wiring, just to be on the safe side...
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Will do, thanks man!

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

The blade switch is probably just dirty and not making full contact. A bit of alcohol should fix it.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

You could tap on the pole pieces of each coil with a pick or screw driver. If a coil is dead you won't hear anything with the amplifier on. I'd do this before I took anything apart. You can mess around with the switch, too, but to clean it I would use a quality contact cleaner. The cheap stuff doesn't always work.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                The blade switch is probably just dirty and not making full contact. A bit of alcohol should fix it.
                +1000

I bet anything this is what it is. You say it's sat for a long time. The blade connectors probably oxidized.

I think if you just slide the selector back and forth a lot it will clean off the connection.

Comment

Working...
                X