Coil Split question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Split question...

So I have this Washburn 7 string and I figure I will modify it and learn something at the same time. I already put a killswitch in it but now I am thinking about a coil split. My question is; can I do this with a SPST on/off toggle? I have an extra one kicking around so I may as well put it to work if I can do something with it.....

My pickups have the 4 wires and sheilding so they are compatible.

Thanks.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

the 2 wires that are wired together, just wire them to a switchable ground coil tap, for series/parallel your gonna need a different switch. im not sure if that what u mean by split?

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
      the 2 wires that are wired together, just wire them to a switchable ground coil tap, for series/parallel your gonna need a different switch. im not sure if that what u mean by split?
      SPDT for split.
      DPDT for series/split/parallel.

Links
      http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm
      http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ckup_diagrams/
      Models
      The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
      I dont need furniture.
      If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
      If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
      And rock that sucker.

Comment

Yeah, easy job. Solder the lowest lug of the mini switch to ground. Then take the pickup's coil tap wires (like on a Duncan that's the white and red ones) and solder them both to the center lug of the mini switch.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Better diagrams.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...g_Usage.html#1

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...p_color_codes/
          Last edited by Tricky; 02-04-2010, 12:44 AM.
          Models
          The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
          I dont need furniture.
          If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
          If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
          And rock that sucker.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the diagrams. I thought I would be able to use the SPST but that appears to not be the case.
            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
              Cool, thanks for the diagrams. I thought I would be able to use the SPST but that appears to not be the case.
              ?

I have SPST push/pull pots in a Lester and they work fine. One end of the switch to the coil tap, one end to ground.

Open = Humbucking
              Closed = Single Coil

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                ?

I have SPST push/pull pots in a Lester and they work fine. One end of the switch to the coil tap, one end to ground.

Open = Humbucking
                Closed = Single Coil
                Wouldn't that be

Open = single coil
                Closed = humbucking

?

hum
                Code:

/
                ________/  _____
                               \__________
                ________________/
                Last edited by Spivonious; 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  ?

Open = Humbucking
                  Closed = Single Coil
                  I don't know.... but looking at the diagrams and people's replies it appears that I need a SPDT switch.

Comment

I don't know.... but looking at the diagrams and people's replies it appears that I need a SPDT switch.
                    Nope, SPST should be fine. All you need to do is take one of the coils out of the circuit.

edit: unless you want both pickups on one switch. Then you'd need SPDT.
                    Last edited by Spivonious; 02-04-2010, 12:36 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

So would I just wire the two spare wires (for lack of a better word) to one lug and just ground the other? Also, this switch is on/off... armed with that information; will it still work?

Also, why wouldn't I be able to wire the two spare wires from the other pickup to that same lug and achieve the same results?
                      Last edited by Musician78; 02-04-2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Then they'd both be split or both be humbuckers.
                        Scott

Comment

So would I just wire the two spare wires (for lack of a better word) to one lug and just ground the other? Also, this switch is on/off... armed with that information; will it still work?

Also, why wouldn't I be able to wire the two spare wires from the other pickup to that same lug and achieve the same results?
                          yes wire the 2 spares to one lug the other lug to a ground. yes you can wire both pups to one switch. if you wanted to use one switch i would get a DPTT this way u can split them seperately or both. thats just me i really like the sound of one hum split & one normal together, especially if they are out of phase with each other.

Comment

Working...
                          X