DiMarzio pickup matching in Jackson HSS guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio pickup matching in Jackson HSS guitars

Sorry for starting yet another pickup thread, but I wasn't able to find an answer to my question on the googles.

I'm putting an X2N in the bridge of my DK2. I was thinking I would like to try some of DiMarzio's blade style pickups in the single package.

Can anyone recommended a good pairing with the X2N? I'm looking for a single coil voice with moderate output in the middle and a humbucker voice with high output and mid presence in the neck position that will compliment my X2N when switching directly.

My first impression from DiMarzio's site points me in this direction: X2N/Chopper/Air Norton S... Yay?, nay?

Position
    ...Pickup.....Output...DC Resistance...Tone(T/M/V)
    Bridge.......X2N..........510..........15.83K...............6.5/6.5/5.5

Middle.....Chopper.......260..........9.16K....................7/6/6

Neck........BC-1..........290..........11.62K...............4.5/6.5/7
    Neck....Air Norton S....280..........1.21K..................4.5/7/5.5
    Neck......Pro Track......275..........7.7K.................5.5/6.5/6.5
    Can anyone add or remove an option from this list? Reasons?

I play Metal, death, thrash, and modern metal styles. My rig is a 6505+ with 1960A(75's). I play mainly through the rhythm channel boosted with a TS9. My settings are based of Mr. Sneap's with slightly more mids, a little added gain in the pre, and a little less gain from the boost. I'm sure you all are very familiar with this tone. I also play a KV2 with EMG81/85 and a 7-string Ibanez RG with Duncan Invader B and Distortion N.

The Jackson DK2 is a Pile 'O Skulls. I've had the stock JB, as well as a Gibson 500T, EMG-81, and Dimebucker in the guitar. I'm picking up the X2N today.

So, I tried to put lots 'o info in this thread in case someone else comes across this with a similar question. I hope to generate some decent feedback!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Luafcm; 02-03-2010, 11:10 AM.

Chopper or Fast Track. The Air Norton S is voiced like a humbucker. The Chopper and the Fast Tracks are voiced more like single coils. I also like the sound of the single sized hums that Andy Timmons has been using - check those out (not sure what model Dimarzios they are).
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      Chopper or Fast Track. The Air Norton S is voiced like a humbucker. The Chopper and the Fast Tracks are voiced more like single coils. I also like the sound of the single sized hums that Andy Timmons has been using - check those out (not sure what model Dimarzios they are).
      Well I'm actually looking to acheive a H/S/H config. I took a look at the Fast Track 2 for the middle position, it looks like the 2 has a ton of output. Maybe it would be better paired with the X2N?

I'm, not sure if I should be concerned with output matching. The Fast Track does look like it would pair with the X2N nicer then the Chopper based on it's output.

Position
      ...Pickup.....Output...DC Resistance...Tone(T/M/V)
      Bridge
      .......X2N..........510..........15.83K...............6.5/6.5/5.5

Middle
      .....Chopper.......260..........9.16K...................7/6/6
      Middle
      ...Fast Track 1...191..........5.78K.................7.5/5/5.5
      Middle
      ...Fast Track 2...321..........18.07K.................5/8/7.5

Neck
      ........BC-1..........290..........11.62K...............4.5/6.5/7
      Neck
      ....Air Norton S....280..........1.21K..................4.5/7/5.5
      Neck
      ......Pro Track......275..........7.7K.................5.5/6.5/6.5
      Can anyone add or remove an option from this list? Reasons?
      Last edited by Luafcm; 02-03-2010, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Oh - I saw you had "X2N/Chopper/Air Norton S" written and figured you were going HSH.

You just want to use the single coil by itself or do you want to use the notch positions for that clucky strat sound?
        Blank yo!

Comment

Thats funny you post this. I have the same amp and guitar, and i put an X2N in my guitar bout a yr after i got it. Sounds great, it has a lot of gain and as you knw very high output. I use a hotrail in the neck and i left the duncan designed single in the middle. The hotrail is pretty good with the x2n output wise. and if you want some clean i just turn the down the guitar volume and use the single. idk if this helps at all. but let me know what you decide to go for in the neck.
          yermsayin?

Comment

I think my first post was too wordy.

I'm looking for a H/S/H setup out of a H/S/S guitar. The neck single coil needs to be voices as a High Output neck humbucker to compliment the high output (X2N) in the bridge.

As for the middle position, I want a single coil voice, I just want to make sure it's snappy enough to hold it's own against the X2N and, say, an Air Norton S in the neck.

wr3k3d, glad to hear your digging your X2n/6505/DK2 combo! I'm stoked, I've got the X2N right here at my desk with me!

Grandturk,

My whole reasoning behind wanting to keep the middle position as a classic single coil(but with hum canceling) is to be able to use the 2nd position "split bridge/middle single" combo. It's my favorite position for clean.
            I don't want to loose the general timbre this combo provides, I figure if I just get a middle single coil to match up output wise with the X2N then I should be good to go. That 'Fast Track 2' pickup seems to fit the bill nicely!!

Anyone have experience with the Air Norton S single coil package in the neck position for high gain lead playing?

Comment

Did a little more digging. The Fast Track 2 is recommended for bridge position only, as it's 3 times the output of a typical strat single coil. The ouput is somwhere around that of a Super Distortion.

A Fast Track 1 is recommended by DiMarzio to be put in the midddle position matched with a hot bridge humbucker for smooth pickups selection transtions.

Basically, an X2N bridge, Fast Track 1 middle, and Air Norton 2 neck would be the shit for a smoking metal guitar.

X2N and Fast Track 1 for sure.

Is there a better metally neck pickup for me? A humbucker to stick in that neck DK2 single coil slot...

Comment

I have the Super Distortion S in the bridge of my strat and I like that - deep tone. You could try that in the neck as well - shouldn't be a problem balancing against the X2N.
                Blank yo!

Comment

also look at the Cruiser neck -Andy Timmons.
                  and HS-4 neck -Yngwie.
                  (to go with your X2N -Chuck Shouldnier)
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The YJM is a good sounding pickup, but it's really low output. I don't think it will work well when combined with other high output pickups if you want to have balanced volume.
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                    X