Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature

I received my SL1 today by courier today. The box wasn't damaged and I could see that it was in the passenger seat when he rolled up. So although he did his best to ensure the boxes safety by separating it from the rest of the cargo, he inadvertently exposed it to another form of danger, one greater than the first. It was a 35C degree day today (95F) and I'm sure I don't need to say how hot it gets in cars on days such as these. My question is, what are the chances of getting a warped neck as a result of being in direct sunlight during a day such as this? When I opened the case for the first time, it was nice and toasty inside. I immediately closed it and let it stew. I let it sit in its case for around 30 minutes or so before getting it out to play test it but I'm just paranoid that something bad has happened to it.

That's a good question... that sort of thing makes me paranoid as well.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

It clearly states in the documentation to keep the guitar out of cars on hot days! They wouldn't say this... especially in a capitalised fashion for no reason.

Comment

I think mild exposure is probably not bad for it. Think about all those bands traveling around the country in vans and U-haul trailers. You think that gear isn't getting nice and toasty on the roof or in the trailer?
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic_Sheep View Post
          It was a 35C degree day today (95F)
          I take it your on the ass-end of the planet?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            I take it your on the ass-end of the planet?
            Lol took me a while to figure out what you meant. Yep I'm in the middle of summer at the moment .

Comment

I ordered an SL1 in the summer time, and it sat on my porch for hours in close to 100F temps.

That guitar played great... I did have a tiny chip near one of the frets but it's likely that had nothing to do with it and it was an easy fix.

I wouldn't do it on purpose, but it's very possible it did nothing.

Comment

Those kinds of temperatures are not a problem for guitars. What is a problem is rapid temperature changes. It would be horrible to take a heated up box/case/guitar and open it up in a colder environment. Or if it's really cold out and you take you guitar to a gig where the heat is up and as soon as you get inside you just open the case and go. Guitars need to acclimate, but they can handle high and low temps.

Coming home from late gigs in the freezing cold, I've left a few nice Jacksons in the trunk due to being lazy and tired. Temperatures that just dipped under freezing. Since they were already acclimating to that temp, the overnight stay in the freezing trunk didn't harm them. But when I finally brought them inside, I allowed a few hours to go by before opening up the cases.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

This is music to my ears! Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X