Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel So-Cal Floyd Rose Saddle Help

Hey everyone, this is my first post.

I bought a Charvel So-Cal back when they came out and have been slowly upgrading certain parts. Ive read the FR saddles on this model are kinda cheap and decided to upgrade em without changing my entire bridge.

Last week I got a set of Graph-Tech String Saver Saddles for my Floyd Rose and installed them, re-intonated and put on some new strings....

Im not sure what the deal is, but they are all binding against each other making it impossible to use my fine tuners. It is such a tight fit that when I go to adjust tuning, the fine tuners just go loose because they are crammed against each other and stuck in position.

Graph-Tech didnt have any answers for me and said they only make one style.

Is this because the FR base plate isn't an actual original but a chinese/ping/whatever make and the exact specs are slightly different?

If I were to purchase a german made/original base plate would the saddles fit correctly and not bind agaisnt each other?

and P.S. if this is the case anyone know where I can just get a black baseplate with no other parts?

Please help me out!
    Thanks for your advice,

Steve
    Charvel So-Cal
    -Custom Warmoth Pickguard
    -SD Custom TB, SD Antiquity Neck
    -Schaller FR Arm/Bushing
    -Schaller Strap Locks
    -CTS Push/Push pot
    -3-Way Switch, 2 Vol

Well.. here's a good source:

http://www.prorockgear.com/ofrshimsplates.aspx

I've bought a bunch of arms from him there and through his ebay seller.

As far as polishing a turd? I think if you're going to upgrade anything on these Floyds, its probably more cost effective to just buy a German Floyd.

For the record, I don't have a problem with the MIK Floyd and honestly, A-Bing them this past weekend while I had all my guitars out - didn't notice a real difference in tone. The arm does need to be changed, though.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I don't believe the saddles are a different size... :think:

Make sure the saddles are straight? If they're crooked, the string lock bolts will catch/scrape where they go through the base plate.

There should be a small gap between the saddles.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        I don't believe the saddles are a different size... :think:
        You know, I wasn't going to say anything because I don't have my measurements written down, but I did measure the MIK vs the MIG and they were slightly off.

From memory, the string spacing on the MIK was the same as the MIG, but the outside width of the saddles was slightly narrower on the MIK. I'll measure them up again tonight - but beware, I don't have a digital caliper or anything scientiforific like that.
        Blank yo!

Comment

One thing I noticed installing a set of the GT saddles was that the string-lock bolts (the ones that contact the saddle block and thread thru the back of the baseplate) were too wide. I swapped them with a set of FloydUpgrades stainless steel bolts (same size as the OFR ones), but the ones supplied with the GT ones are the wrong size...at least in the package I received...haven't had any intonation issues yet, but haven't completed the assembly...didn't seem like saddle-travel was going to be an issue after swapping those bolts, though..

Comment

I bought an OFR for mine and so far there aren't any problems and I could tell a difference right away in the overall sound of the instrument. I would recommend this due to the fact that mixing parts with the baseplate, as it unfolded with your saddles, may not prove to be the best idea. I agree that if you are going to throw down for a plate, you might as well buy a new floyd all together. Just my two cents.

I have a couple questions for you though, if you don't mind... I have a tangerine socal and wanted to change the pickguard to one almost identical to yours, a black gloss with a H-S route. Where did you get yours and does it sound good, single coil wise? Also, I love the black strat knobs. Would it be easier to invest in a concentric pot as oppose to new pickups or is the sound worth the price? Sorry for the lengthy post, and hope my insight helped you out. I have a good feeling that if you swapped the entire bridge, you'd be a much happier camper.

Mike.
            Ratt & Roll

Comment

I'm trying to understand the concept behind String Saver Floyd saddles. It's not like there's any real friction at the saddle like on a Strat trem, is there?
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The concept is to make money, Newc.

Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Shreddy View Post
                  I bought an OFR for mine and so far there aren't any problems and I could tell a difference right away in the overall sound of the instrument. I would recommend this due to the fact that mixing parts with the baseplate, as it unfolded with your saddles, may not prove to be the best idea. I agree that if you are going to throw down for a plate, you might as well buy a new floyd all together. Just my two cents.

I have a couple questions for you though, if you don't mind... I have a tangerine socal and wanted to change the pickguard to one almost identical to yours, a black gloss with a H-S route. Where did you get yours and does it sound good, single coil wise? Also, I love the black strat knobs. Would it be easier to invest in a concentric pot as oppose to new pickups or is the sound worth the price? Sorry for the lengthy post, and hope my insight helped you out. I have a good feeling that if you swapped the entire bridge, you'd be a much happier camper.

Mike.
                  The pickguard is from warmoth. The single coil sounds pretty good (its a duncan antiquity, similar to a Texas Hot) but can get alot of feedback if your next to like monitors and whatnot. I did the HS route because I wanted a humbucker but still be able to switch over to a texas blues sound for different songs.

I didnt check the option to have the first pot hole on the pickguard moved down an inch away from the typical position next to the humbucker..My pinky rests in there and alot of times im messing up the volume.

I also installed a push-push vol pot which splits my HB into a single coil sound, and a 3-way switch so I have 5 different tone combinations.

Pretty neat.

thanks for the advice on the saddles...still not sure what to do with em tho :think:
                  Last edited by Steve069; 02-01-2010, 08:06 PM.
                  Charvel So-Cal
                  -Custom Warmoth Pickguard
                  -SD Custom TB, SD Antiquity Neck
                  -Schaller FR Arm/Bushing
                  -Schaller Strap Locks
                  -CTS Push/Push pot
                  -3-Way Switch, 2 Vol

Comment

Originally posted by Steve069 View Post
                    thanks for the advice on the saddles...still not sure what to do with em tho :think:
                    Cool, yeah no problem. Are they still under warranty? - You could return them, right?
                    Ratt & Roll

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      I'm trying to understand the concept behind String Saver Floyd saddles. It's not like there's any real friction at the saddle like on a Strat trem, is there?
                      No. The String Saver Floyd Saddles also suck ass! I bought a set and put on my old Charvel Star a couple years ago. If you just turn the locking screw a tad too much, the stupid graphite/plastic saddles crack! I didn't notice any tone difference in them either.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        No. The String Saver Floyd Saddles also suck ass! I bought a set and put on my old Charvel Star a couple years ago. If you just turn the locking screw a tad too much, the stupid graphite/plastic saddles crack! I didn't notice any tone difference in them either.
                        Oooooh - not what I'd hoped to hear, as someone about to try a set of them...

Comment

And why is there a "pickguard for sale" ad in the middle of this thread?
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by jhale667 View Post
                            Oooooh - not what I'd hoped to hear, as someone about to try a set of them...
                            Well, there is a tiny hole in the saddle that the string goes into. Just make sure it's seated in there and don't turn the locking screw too much. As for the tone, I didn't notice any difference, but Graphtech says it's supposed to be better. :think:

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              And why is there a "pickguard for sale" ad in the middle of this thread?
                              I didn't read through it. Thanks. Only Platinum Members can post things for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X